Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoyed by new iMac - Need help in transferring iTunes from Windows PC to iMac

I received an iMac for Christmas and am considering returning it. Apple functionality is just not as easy to navigate as Windows.

I followed the Organize Library steps that I found on these forums, regarding from my iTunes on my old PC. I dragged and dropped to my external server, and struggled getting those items into Apple "folders," since the iMac does not really have true folders like Windows. I believe I finally got everything into the Music "folder" on my iMac and labeled it as iTunes.

But no matter what I do, I cannot drag or drop, or import any of the .itl file into iTunes. A pull-down window would be nice, or even a right click option to easily import?

Am I stuck with dragging and dropping the thousands of files over to iTunes directly? I was hoping that Apple would have a more seamless way of integrating and importing the music. But the Organize Library tool using the .itl file does not seem to work at all.

I am quite frustrated. Music was the only reason that my spouse bought me an iMac. But if I am going through these growing pains already, I am not sure that it does not make more sense to simply use iTunes on a non-Apple computer.

My old PC was Windows 7.

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 7:53 AM

Using Wi-Fi to attempt to migrate data is normally a waste of time. The reason being is most users WiFi is simply not designed to handle the amount of data that is being attempted to migrate. If you can connect the Mac and PC together via Ethernet that is a better solution. Another solution is to move the data you want to move to the Mac to an external HD and then move it to the Mac. You are likely going to need an external HD anyhow as you will need an external HD to do backups. If you don't backup your PC you have been very fortunate, operating any computer without a backup is a guarantee of lost data. Apple makes backing up extremely simple as it has an app already on your iMac called Time Machine for backing up, you can learn more about it by clicking Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Also, Apple has many online resources available for people like you that are new to Mac OS including Mac tips for Windows switchers.

As far as the book, you just keep it on hand as a reference guide if you need it. You don't have to sit down and read it cover to cover.

If you continue to have a problem please give AppleCare a call, here is the link to find the number outside the USA. AppleCare Contact Info Also, if you have an Apple Store in your area that is open you can make an appointment there and they can assist with migrating your data, this is normally a free service Apple provides to new users.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 7:53 AM in response to Ronm2481

Using Wi-Fi to attempt to migrate data is normally a waste of time. The reason being is most users WiFi is simply not designed to handle the amount of data that is being attempted to migrate. If you can connect the Mac and PC together via Ethernet that is a better solution. Another solution is to move the data you want to move to the Mac to an external HD and then move it to the Mac. You are likely going to need an external HD anyhow as you will need an external HD to do backups. If you don't backup your PC you have been very fortunate, operating any computer without a backup is a guarantee of lost data. Apple makes backing up extremely simple as it has an app already on your iMac called Time Machine for backing up, you can learn more about it by clicking Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Also, Apple has many online resources available for people like you that are new to Mac OS including Mac tips for Windows switchers.

As far as the book, you just keep it on hand as a reference guide if you need it. You don't have to sit down and read it cover to cover.

If you continue to have a problem please give AppleCare a call, here is the link to find the number outside the USA. AppleCare Contact Info Also, if you have an Apple Store in your area that is open you can make an appointment there and they can assist with migrating your data, this is normally a free service Apple provides to new users.

Annoyed by new iMac - Need help in transferring iTunes from Windows PC to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.