Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV

I use 2 older (non 4K) versions of Apple TV to stream baseball live from the US via a MLB TV subscription. Everything seemed okay during the initial part of the season, however in recent weeks I have been unable to connect to a game live until I go through the process of logging out and then back into my subscription. The MLB app appears to load properly and I can get to the days games but when I click on the game I want it goes no further. But if I log out and then back in it goes to the game immediately. Could this be a problem of the version of the Apple TV I'm using being non-4K, or is there some other simple solution. I don't want to update my units as it will cost me up to AU$500.00 for 2 new units.

Apple TV

Posted on May 13, 2019 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2019 7:51 PM

The 3rd gen model does not run apps. It has access to pre-set "channels' which are fed to the device via server. Nothing is stored on the device and all of those icons use a basic web template to access the contents of those services.

The 4th gen (now rebranded Apple TV HD) and 4K models by comparison have access to an app store, where users can download apps they wish onto the device, including MLB. These are all created directly by developers and also regularly updated.

A lot of providers have stopped support for the server versions that run on the older Apple TV's (to focus on the aformentioned apps) . In some cases that means they no longer work and/or are removed, while in others it means that they are not really pursuing maintenance. There have been other users on older models having issues, which does indicate the latter but in order to have an official verification you will need to contact MLB.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2019 7:51 PM in response to Rossco P Coltrane

The 3rd gen model does not run apps. It has access to pre-set "channels' which are fed to the device via server. Nothing is stored on the device and all of those icons use a basic web template to access the contents of those services.

The 4th gen (now rebranded Apple TV HD) and 4K models by comparison have access to an app store, where users can download apps they wish onto the device, including MLB. These are all created directly by developers and also regularly updated.

A lot of providers have stopped support for the server versions that run on the older Apple TV's (to focus on the aformentioned apps) . In some cases that means they no longer work and/or are removed, while in others it means that they are not really pursuing maintenance. There have been other users on older models having issues, which does indicate the latter but in order to have an official verification you will need to contact MLB.

May 13, 2019 7:38 PM in response to vazandrew

Sorry, I don't fully understand your comments. When I connect to my Apple TV unit it displays a MLB TV app which when I select it indicates that it is loading MLB TV. It then gives me a menu which includes selecting the day's games, but when I scroll down and select a game it doesn't start a live transmission. Same if I go in to watch a game from the archive. However, if I log out of MLB TV then log back in I have no trouble watching a selected game, whether live or from the MLB archives. However, next day I have to go through the whole procedure again.

I did have some initial trouble during the earlier part of the baseball season (Spring Training during late February and through March), and my initial enquiries suggested that MLB TV was only supporting Apple TV 4K, however after a week (early March) I was asked to log into MLB TV, as happens normally at the beginning of each season. It appeared to update the app version and it all came good and I've had no troubles up until a couple of weeks ago, when it started to perform as described above.

I also watch the baseball coverage via a Samsung entertainment system that is older than my Apple TV units without any problems, however the latter's location makes it inconvenient when I need to do other work on my computer, or the live game is on very early in the morning Australian time. All very frustrating.

Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.