Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Migration assistant unexpectedly quit" Why? How to Fix? moving from 10.14.4 mini to 10.14.5 MBP 2019

I am using migration assistant to move from old matchbox min 2014 running 10.4.4 to a brand new MBP running 10.4.5 using an external disk used as a time machine back up.

The only info I get is "unexpectedly quit" . The drive passes disk utility first aid , and a time machine verify.

Now what?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 13, 2019 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2019 8:47 PM

In the end, there was something fishy in the ~/Library

I've been using Setup assist for a decade, so a lot of 10 year old crap was in there. I took a meat ax to that and no more "unexpectedly quit"

:-)

However, now the !/* files and directories get copied but not populated. Not sure what is up with that, but if I just copy the files over the network to the machine, it works.

I'm declaring a moral victory, but setup failed me.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2019 8:47 PM in response to leroydouglas

In the end, there was something fishy in the ~/Library

I've been using Setup assist for a decade, so a lot of 10 year old crap was in there. I took a meat ax to that and no more "unexpectedly quit"

:-)

However, now the !/* files and directories get copied but not populated. Not sure what is up with that, but if I just copy the files over the network to the machine, it works.

I'm declaring a moral victory, but setup failed me.

May 13, 2019 9:37 PM in response to Joseph Becker1

Joseph Becker1 wrote:

I am using migration assistant to move from old matchbox min 2014 running 10.4.4 to a brand new MBP running 10.4.5 using an external disk used as a time machine back up.

The only info I get is "unexpectedly quit" . The drive passes disk utility first aid , and a time machine verify.

You are much better off using the Setup Assistant when you initial boot the new Mac—this has proven to be the most reliable way of picking up where you left off.

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

May 14, 2019 9:12 AM in response to Joseph Becker1

Joseph Becker1 wrote:

Reseting Setup Assistant and reinstalling did nothing. Still get "unexpectedly quit"

Independent of passing DiskUtility first aid— I suspect the backup drive is failing.

Try a different backup, or from machine to machine.

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Boot clone https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Use DiskUtility Restore feature  https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/restore-a-disk-dskutl14062/mac

May 14, 2019 9:54 AM in response to leroydouglas

This might be a duplicate reply; I thought I posted it but its not on site

--

The drive might be failing but if it passes First Aid...

I tried a machine to machine, and it worked a little; it copied the Applications and a few directories in the user account of interest, then it quit after pointing out 5 extensions where unacceptable for reasons I have forgotten. The dialog mentioned looking at privacy...

May 14, 2019 2:04 PM in response to Joseph Becker1

Joseph Becker1 wrote:

"Migration assistant unexpectedly quit" Why? How to Fix? moving from 10.14.4 mini to 10.14.5 MBP 2019

The drive might be failing but if it passes First Aid...
I tried a machine to machine, and it worked a little; it copied the Applications and a few directories in the user account of interest, then it quit after pointing out 5 extensions where unacceptable for reasons I have forgotten. The dialog mentioned looking at privacy...

A failing drive can still pass all the test.

S0 this is a 2018 MBP T2 chip w/ Touch Bar (?) running the latest 10.14.5 macOS, trying to migrate your older mini 2014

Seems an odd situation to fail, I don't fully grok even "5 extensions" would abort a migration.

You can get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can run this utility http://etrecheck.com  on the troublesome drive. If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the toolbar below.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.