migration assistant not working

I'm trying to migrate from my old MBP -El Capitan- to my new MBP -Monterey- but the migration assistant on El Capitan keeps restarting the old MBP without giving any options to migrate

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 8:38 AM

Rita Van_Opzeeland wrote:

I'm trying to migrate from my old MBP -El Capitan- to my new MBP -Monterey- but the migration assistant on El Capitan keeps restarting the old MBP without giving any options to migrate

Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

On a new Mac you have 90 day complimentary call in support, I would take advantage of that if still no resolve:

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

if the old MBP can be upgraded to at least macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 may be a way forward, this would be the new file system— APFS if that is the issue(?)

It never pays to get too far behind in the software or hardware...

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 8:38 AM in response to Rita Van_Opzeeland

Rita Van_Opzeeland wrote:

Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

On a new Mac you have 90 day complimentary call in support, I would take advantage of that if still no resolve:

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

if the old MBP can be upgraded to at least macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 may be a way forward, this would be the new file system— APFS if that is the issue(?)

It never pays to get too far behind in the software or hardware...

Oct 7, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Rita Van_Opzeeland

Migration Assistant does not restart anything. Something else is going on. There is a process to use M.A/, which you may not have followed. Below are the steps to follow for your assistance. I hope this helps. Be sure to read and follow the M.A. instructions.

You first begin by starting the process of setting up your new computer. At one point you will be asked if you wish to transfer files. Respond YES and follow the instructions you will be given.

·      You will be told to turn both computers on and activate Migration Assistant in the old computer.

·      The computers should be connected with a cable to facilitate the transfer. Wi-Fi is not suited for a transfer of so much data and corruption often results. If you must use it, make sure the two computers are located close together.

·      You will be given several options of what to transfer. You will likely want to transfer your settings and preferences.

·      You can transfer all or none of your files. You do not have an option to select certain files to transfer. If you wish to do that, then do so manually. You can transfer all or none of your installed apps. Some people elect to download fresh installations to the new computer instead.

·      The old computer's operating system will not be transferred. No data from the old computer is erased.

·      Allow for up to an hour for the transfer process to complete once you start it.

·      It should set up the new computer the same as the old one.

·      When that is successful, you can log into the new Mac with the old User Account name and password and delete the brand-new user or leave it in place as a second admin account.

Enjoy your new Mac.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Oct 9, 2023 3:56 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your answer! The old MBP could go no further than El Capitan. The new MBP is in fact a second hand and changed from Catalina to Monterey overnight [it had just arrived and obviously was set up that way]. Not sure whether that made the 2 MBP's stop communicating. In migration assistant Monterey could not find El Capitan and El Capitan kept going dark and showing the login page. I am now - slowly!- transferring via screenshare, though obviously that is limited.

But you are right, I did get too far behind in as far as soft and hardware are concerned

Oct 9, 2023 4:08 AM in response to Ronasara

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I am sure something else is going on. On the old MBP - El Capitan- migration assistant kept turning the screen dark and after a few minutes showing the login page. Hence me thinking of a restart. At the same time the new MBP [2015, so not that new] OS Monterey could not find the old El Capitan. I have no cables to connect the 2 as the new one has no firewire or ethernet, but thunderbolt. Which the old one hasn't got.

I have never had this problem before with any of my Macs or phones. However, a slow and complicated transfer via shared screens might get me there in the end.

migration assistant not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.