Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Avoid Migration Assistant

Just fired up my new M2 Mackbook Air and am trying to avoid migrating all the stuff from my 11 year old MBP. How can I skip the Migration Assistant? - It's been stuck for 15 minutes on the 'Transfer information to this Mac' screen

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 10:14 AM

I also had difficulties with migration assistant and it (perhaps) corrupted my Time Machine backup. I finally let the system get set up and then made a new time machine backup and used that to re-install my user data and applications. The instructions need to be written to be clear about what you actually need to do or can do. One thing is don't use wifi. I started that way and it was a complete waste of a day.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 10:14 AM in response to ku4hx

I also had difficulties with migration assistant and it (perhaps) corrupted my Time Machine backup. I finally let the system get set up and then made a new time machine backup and used that to re-install my user data and applications. The instructions need to be written to be clear about what you actually need to do or can do. One thing is don't use wifi. I started that way and it was a complete waste of a day.

Avoid Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.