Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant stalls calculating amount of data

I'm transferring from my MacBook Pro 2014 to a new MacBook Air using WiFi. Migration Assistant stalls when calculating data for "Applications", "Other Files and Folders", and "System and Network".

I left it overnight without any progress.

What can I do to ensure migration?

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 8:24 AM

Hello there id369,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having an issue transferring data through Wi-Fi with Migration Assistant. Depending on how much content you're transferring to your new Mac, it can take several hours for the transfer to complete. If the process has become stuck, then we suggest connecting your Mac computers to your network via Ethernet, and then attempting the process. Additionally, check for updates to macOS, and consider using Time Machine to transfer data. You can see those suggestions in the following article: Move your content to a new Mac

Have a terrific day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 8:24 AM in response to id369

Hello there id369,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having an issue transferring data through Wi-Fi with Migration Assistant. Depending on how much content you're transferring to your new Mac, it can take several hours for the transfer to complete. If the process has become stuck, then we suggest connecting your Mac computers to your network via Ethernet, and then attempting the process. Additionally, check for updates to macOS, and consider using Time Machine to transfer data. You can see those suggestions in the following article: Move your content to a new Mac

Have a terrific day!

Migration Assistant stalls calculating amount of data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.