Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant repeatedly fails to transfer anything

Trying to move (after years of waiting to buy a new Mac) from my Mid 2011 iMac (fully loaded) to my new refurbished MBP 14" M1 Pro machine. Migration Assistant repeatedly fails to transfer anything beyond creating a user with my username. I don't have an adapter for Thunderbolt 1 to 3 or 4, so I tried the default Wi-Fi method. I have tons of content and preferences that I would hate to completely recreate everything. HELP!

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 7:42 AM

Don't assume that all of your settings on that Mid-2011 iMac are still supported in their original format on the newer operating system. Apple and vendors change stuff.

I would get a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter for the new MBP and then run a Cat5 Ethernet cable between the two Macs. This would eliminate the WiFi fiddling and allow Migration Assistant to run as fast as it can.

Just don't transfer any applications from the 2011 iMac as they may be 32-bit and/or need newer version installations for compatibility with the new operating system.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 7:42 AM in response to eMacstudio

Don't assume that all of your settings on that Mid-2011 iMac are still supported in their original format on the newer operating system. Apple and vendors change stuff.

I would get a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter for the new MBP and then run a Cat5 Ethernet cable between the two Macs. This would eliminate the WiFi fiddling and allow Migration Assistant to run as fast as it can.

Just don't transfer any applications from the 2011 iMac as they may be 32-bit and/or need newer version installations for compatibility with the new operating system.

Migration Assistant repeatedly fails to transfer anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.