Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 13 / Upgrade from HDD to SSD - Change SATA cable?

Hey guys,

So, I've got a Macbook Pro 13' (Mid-2010). Recently had issues with it and after a lot of troubleshooting, narrowed it down to either a faulty Hard-Disk or a faulty SATA cable. So, just bought an SSD (Crucial BX500 240GB), but I think the cable was also faulty since my laptop wasn't detecting the SSD when i connected.

So, Wanting to buy a new cable, I am just wondering would a cable similar to the original SATA cable that came with my Mid-2010 MBP'13 be compatible with the SSD? Or does SSD require something different.

If someone could clear this up for me, that'd be amazing.

Thanks,

Manu

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 14, 2019 1:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2019 4:24 AM

I'm sorry, I should have followed my initial thought and expanded the answer. The unibody MBP was a great computer - I kept my own 2010 MBP for longer than I've kept any Mac ever. But it has one weakpoint - the SATA cable. Over time it can degrade. You don't need a special SATA cable for your SSD but you almost certainly need a new one. These days if I'm asked to upgrade a unibody MBP with an SSD I always make sure I've got a new SATA cable on hand. I almost always need it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2019 4:24 AM in response to AJthefrog

I'm sorry, I should have followed my initial thought and expanded the answer. The unibody MBP was a great computer - I kept my own 2010 MBP for longer than I've kept any Mac ever. But it has one weakpoint - the SATA cable. Over time it can degrade. You don't need a special SATA cable for your SSD but you almost certainly need a new one. These days if I'm asked to upgrade a unibody MBP with an SSD I always make sure I've got a new SATA cable on hand. I almost always need it.

MBP 13 / Upgrade from HDD to SSD - Change SATA cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.