Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages crashing

Every time I open Messages I get the following message:

"There was a problem with Messages. You need to quit and open Messages again."

If I try two or three times Messages will finally open and works fine until I close it again.

How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 14, 2019 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2019 9:13 AM

The first thing you could try is booting in Safe Mode, when starting hold down the shift key. It takes a little long to get to the login screen but just wait and when at desktop give it a minute then close down, this process carries out some general housekeeping that may sort out certain issues.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Atbalsts

If that fails you could try signing out of Messages, Restart and then sign back in, this discussion explains how.

I need to sign out of iMessage on my Mac.… - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2019 9:13 AM in response to cmmary

The first thing you could try is booting in Safe Mode, when starting hold down the shift key. It takes a little long to get to the login screen but just wait and when at desktop give it a minute then close down, this process carries out some general housekeeping that may sort out certain issues.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Atbalsts

If that fails you could try signing out of Messages, Restart and then sign back in, this discussion explains how.

I need to sign out of iMessage on my Mac.… - Apple Community

Messages crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.