Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead server connection

Dears, I have changed the name of my Airport TimeCapsule and have successfully connected it again. However, the system keeps telling me "There was a problem connection to ......."

• I have tried to get back to the old name.. - problem persists..
  • I went to ginder , "go", "connect to server" (cmd K) and deleted the old connection.. - problem still persists...
  • I have even disconnected the "remote drive" in finder... - problem still persists...

Nothing did help. Anybody able to free me from this very annoying pop-up "there was a problem connecting to...."???

I'd be so grateful for any hint how to solve the issue...

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 14, 2019 10:39 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 15, 2019 11:44 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you so much LaPastenague for offering your support...

Since I am doing the time machine backups on a seperate USB-harddrive, this should not be the issue, right? Pls find as follows a screenshot from the error message:

Basically, I have only changed the name of the TC and it is still connected and fully functioning, however the system is still desperately looking for "Pete's APTC".... Could this be fixed via Terminal (or plist as you say) without doing furrther harm to the system?

Could a complete reset of the TC fix the issue? This would not be the most convenient solution but still less annoying than being interrupted by the error message every 30 seconds..

I realize I am a true dummy so again, thanks for your support I truly appreciate it..

May 25, 2019 5:09 AM in response to LaPastenague

I realize that I might have not even average user skills ...and start feeling dumb after all.

As you recommended, I was looking at console (despite I am not even sure what exactly to look for), and I think it could be the following:

is this what we are looking for? and if yes, what should I do now? if not, what particularly shall I look out for?

May 25, 2019 2:20 PM in response to Pete1808

Yes.. that is what could be throwing up the message.

So first thing to try is turn OFF iTunes.. does the continual flow of error messages stop? If yes.. you have found the problem. You saved a library or something to the TC at some stage and now iTunes cannot access it because you changed its share name.

To warn you of the failure a message pops up.

If the messages don't stop keep console open and keep watching for messages from another application. But I do think this would be typical iTunes. It can be a most intrusive software.

Assuming turning off itunes worked and it is clearly the cause of the problem..

Open iTunes Preferences and check where you library is located.

If it is not your local hard drive then at least fix the name of the TC there.

May 15, 2019 1:23 PM in response to Pete1808

Is the TC the only router in your current network configuration? When you renamed it, did you use a name that is 16 or less alphanumeric characters, without spaces or special characters?

Did you try the recommendation from LaPastenague to remove the existing TC from the Time Machine interface, and then, add the new one?

May 15, 2019 2:47 PM in response to Pete1808

Since I am doing the time machine backups on a seperate USB-harddrive, this should not be the issue, right?

So your TC whether old name or new name is not listed at all in the Time Machine list of target drives?

Then that is not the problem.

Also TM would not continually give you the error message every 30sec. That sounds more like you have saved a library from photos or itunes or something to the TC under its old name that is vital to the program function.

What I would do now is go through all your open programs.. you can open activity manager and see the list..

You should also be able to open the console click the all messages and leave it sitting in the background.. as soon as you see the error check the messages and find which application is failing to find the TC that way. If it is popping the message up every 30sec then there should be a whole long list of errors as it attempts to connect and no longer can.

Dead server connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.