Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red Signals in all my files in Finder

In all the sample files in the Finder a red circle with a white exclamation point appears inside and I do not know what to do to make them disappear.

the files work, and open with the respective programs

iMac 27", OS X 10.10

Posted on May 14, 2019 2:55 PM

17 replies

May 16, 2019 9:37 AM in response to Pedro Sarmento

Try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information    10.10 and later

May 14, 2019 3:55 PM in response to Pedro Sarmento

Clean My Mac is another piece of malware!!! Please uninstall it as well using the developers Uninstall instructions. Ad mentioned, Mac OS does not require or benefit from using any type of cleaning, antivirus or ANY other third party "maintenance" apps.

• First, locate the uninstall process from the developers of CMM and uninstall it!
  • Next, re-install McAfee AV product
  • Locate the developers instructions for uninstalling McAfee and uninstall
  • Finally restart the computer in Safe Mode to clear some caches.

To be honest you have made a pretty good mess of your system. If after doing the above your system is still unstable, you will be forced to do an erase and install and start over.

May 14, 2019 3:40 PM in response to Pedro Sarmento

Thought so, that is the root of the problem! Mac OS is EXTREMELY secure and it does not benefit by using any antivirus, cleaning or any other third party "maintenance" apps. If simply kept up-to-date and otherwise left alone Mac OS will remain stable and secure.

You indicated you uninstalled AVG, however did you use the developers uninstall instructions to do so? If so that is good, if you used another method you will need to re-install and then uninstall the per the developers instructions!

I located this youtube , please look it over and it should help out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UfhaE3CMHM

May 15, 2019 8:21 AM in response to Pedro Sarmento

I would not allow cleanmymac or AV software within 10 miles of any of my Macs.

Since the problem is not evident on your other user account, there is obviously a problem with yours. Most likely caused by the apps you have installed. Unless you uninstall, restart the computer, reinstall a fresh OS, and then test, there is no way to troubleshoot.

May 18, 2019 7:52 AM in response to Pedro Sarmento

Antivirus apps: AVG, CleanMyMac

As suggested in the posts above, I would uninstall the above using the Developer's uninstall instructions. If you get the problem resolved, you can try reinstalling them later if you want to. I would also uninstall the Norton programs you have installed.

You may need to rebuild permissions on your user account. To do this,boot to your Recovery partition (holding down the Command and R keys while booting) and open Terminal from the Utilities menu. In Terminal, type:  ‘resetpassword’ (without the ’s), hit return, and select the admin user. You are not going to reset your password. Click on the icon for your Macs hard drive at the top. From the drop down below it select the user account which is having issues. At the bottom of the window, you'll see an area labeled Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the reset button there. The process takes a few minutes. When complete, restart.    

Repair User Permissions

User/File Permissions - How to Fix

Red Signals in all my files in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.