Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro: System Preferences New Helper app after installing Flash update

MacBook Pro, Mojave 10.14.4 (up to date)

Today I opened System Preferences, checked Flash

I updated to Flash NPAPI 32.0.0.192 and PPAPI 32.0.0.192

Then I wanted to switch from "Allow Adobe to install update automatically" to "Notify me..."

I could not change the Adobe-selected option.

There is a pop-up "System Preferences is trying to install a new helper tool."

--What is this tool? (Mojave is up to date, Siri was part of some update)

--Why can't I dismiss the pop-up? "No thanks, I'll wait 'til the next update"

--If it is critical, why doesn't someone state what it is? Fact sheet xxx

--Why Flash?

I'm not concerned with it being a sinister tool, but I'd rather know something about this. And especially it's cruddy way of introducing itself.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 14, 2019 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2019 11:14 AM

That's what I'd do.

I did check the system requirements for one of the services you use and it does indicate Adobe Flash Player is required. That's somewhat surprising, since Adobe announced its impending end-of-life years ago.

Just be advised that Adobe Flash Player has been—and will always remain—a potential vector for malware intrusion. The same applies for anything that modifies a Mac in that manner, so use it with that in mind.

You might also find the following useful: Beware bogus Adobe Flash "installers". Although those scams are completely unrelated to Adobe Flash Player, they masquerade as something legitimate. Countless people succumb to those scams every day.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2019 11:14 AM in response to Suzan52

That's what I'd do.

I did check the system requirements for one of the services you use and it does indicate Adobe Flash Player is required. That's somewhat surprising, since Adobe announced its impending end-of-life years ago.

Just be advised that Adobe Flash Player has been—and will always remain—a potential vector for malware intrusion. The same applies for anything that modifies a Mac in that manner, so use it with that in mind.

You might also find the following useful: Beware bogus Adobe Flash "installers". Although those scams are completely unrelated to Adobe Flash Player, they masquerade as something legitimate. Countless people succumb to those scams every day.

May 14, 2019 8:45 PM in response to Suzan52

I now see that a number of users on the Adobe site have had this question. The answers comes down to "it's needed" (not outrageously helpful). If it's needed for Adobe then using "System Preferences" in a sentence is misleading.

Thanks, John, after testing some sites. It looks as if they no longer require Flash. I will uninstall it and if a site does require it, then I'll consider how much I truly care.

MacBook Pro: System Preferences New Helper app after installing Flash update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.