Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Does iCloud Drive Work?

So I just bought a 64GB iPad Pro and got rid of my MacBook Pro. With the iPad being the replacement and only 64GB, how exactly does iCloud Drive work? If I bought the 1TB plan, would I be able to upload 1TB worth of files onto the cloud and then use those files on my iPad, or does a copy of those files get saved to my iPad and now I have an iPad storage issue?

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on May 14, 2019 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2019 7:31 PM

iCloud is a syncing service, not off-device storage.

Any content you have on iCloud will be synced in real time with your iPad. The one exception is Photos, where you can, and should, enable optimization. This will (somewhat) reduce the size of your photos stored on the iPad, plus move the videos to iCloud, leaving only thumbnails behind.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2019 7:31 PM in response to RockGuitarist1

iCloud is a syncing service, not off-device storage.

Any content you have on iCloud will be synced in real time with your iPad. The one exception is Photos, where you can, and should, enable optimization. This will (somewhat) reduce the size of your photos stored on the iPad, plus move the videos to iCloud, leaving only thumbnails behind.

May 14, 2019 7:54 PM in response to LACAllen

I spoke to a Senior Advisor about this as well. To anyone else who may come across this, here are a few things that I also learned:

1) iCloud Drive files will be automatically offloaded from your device once your device's storage is full.

2) There is no way to manually offload specific files at will.

3) To force clear your device of all iCloud Drive files, go into your Settings > Click you Name > iCloud > and toggle iCloud Drive off for about 30 seconds and then back on.

May 14, 2019 8:00 PM in response to RockGuitarist1

#1 is completely false. When your device's storage is full, nothing will be saved until you create more device storage space.

#2 is mostly false, as there are other ways to "offload" most specific files. Airdrop, importing to a Mac/PC and so on.

#3 is a bad idea all around. Toggling will likely tie up the bandwidth on your phone for quite some time as it tries to both upload and download at the same time.

How Does iCloud Drive Work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.