Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tech told me iCloud can't be used as storage - only backup.

I want to use iCloud as if it were dropbox - to hold my files off my computer. Meaning I want to store all of my files there.

I spoke to a support tech at Apple who said that if I deleted something on my computer, it would delete it on iCloud and that iCloud is just a tool to share between Mac's.

I have trouble believing he was correct. Can I use iCloud for long term storage, as opposed to just mirroring my computer? If so, how?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 9:57 AM

It is essentially correct. iCloud is primarily a syncing service. There are Optimize Storage options (one for iCloud Drive and one for iCloud Photos) that can automatically help to reduce the local storage space used on your computer if your computer is low on storage space. But if you manually delete a file or a photo from your computer, it is also deleted from iCloud and from any other device that is synced with iCloud.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 9:57 AM in response to changelives

It is essentially correct. iCloud is primarily a syncing service. There are Optimize Storage options (one for iCloud Drive and one for iCloud Photos) that can automatically help to reduce the local storage space used on your computer if your computer is low on storage space. But if you manually delete a file or a photo from your computer, it is also deleted from iCloud and from any other device that is synced with iCloud.

Jan 14, 2023 11:49 AM in response to changelives

iCloud Drive is part of iCloud. It is for syncing your files; iCloud Photos is similar and is for syncing photos.

Both can expand your storage. See the following from my previous reply:

There are Optimize Storage options (one for iCloud Drive and one for iCloud Photos) that can automatically help to reduce the local storage space used on your computer if your computer is low on storage space.

If you have 256GB storage on your Mac with 100GB used for apps, you can have more than 156GB in iCloud. Note that the optimization is automatic.

Tech told me iCloud can't be used as storage - only backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.