Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Drag to Tab Issue

I think since I updated to Mojave I have trouble drag & dropping files from one finder tab to an other. When I try it I get a stop-sign-icon below the mouse. Only happens if the folder I want to copy it to is on a connected disk (in this case a Mac Mini) with folders in the same computer it still works. Dragging it on the same directory works if I open it in a separate window instead of dropping it on the tabs-bar.

Below a screenshot of the issue (mouse was not visible on screenshot so I drew it about the way it was)

Any idea why this is?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 15, 2019 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2019 9:59 AM

Hey jameson

I fixed it, turns out I was connected to the MINI using "afp". As I had an other unrelated problem I had to switch to an "smb" connection, which then fixed this problem as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Similar questions

5 replies

May 16, 2019 9:06 AM in response to Julian-JacksonDaly

Hello Julian-JacksonDaly,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're running into an issue dragging and dropping files.

To verify, it sounds like you're able to drag and drop to the same location using two separate Finder windows, but not when you use tabs, correct?

You mentioned this happens with a connected disk; how are you connecting to the Mac Mini? For example, with a cable connection, or wirelessly?

Which specific macOS Mojave version are you using under Apple menu () > About This Mac?

To narrow this down, you might try using safe mode and a temporary administrator account to see if you can replicate the behavior there. This will tell you if this might be system-wide behavior or user-specific, and would also help to rule out a few specific software causes. Check out these links for the steps you'll need:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Feel free to reply back here with the results of testing in safe mode and the new user account, and the community may be able to provide further assistance with that information.

Cheers.

May 16, 2019 9:18 AM in response to Teddy_B

@To verify, it sounds like you're able to drag and drop to the same location using two separate Finder windows, but not when you use tabs, correct?

– Yes this is correct

@You mentioned this happens with a connected disk; how are you connecting to the Mac Mini? For example, with a cable connection, or wirelessly?

– It's connected through a Ethernet wire (both plugged into a router)

@Which specific macOS Mojave version are you using under Apple menu () > About This Mac?

– I'm running 10.14.3 – I believe that's currently the latest version

Thanks for your help I will try it in safe mode and with an other account this evening to see if the same happens as well.

kind regards Julian

Finder Drag to Tab Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.