Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening folders while dragging and dropping

Hi!

In the past, when I wanted to move a file to a different folder in Finder, I was able to drag the file on the folder until it got highlighted and then when I waited a moment the folder opened. It doesn't work anymore and I don't know if it's because the new update changed this feature or I cannot open it in the settings. I use MacBook Air 2015 with Monterey 12.6.1.

My bf has just bought the newest MacBook Air and I checked, the folders do open when I drag files onto them. I'll be grateful for your help!

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 4:42 AM

In addition to what jeffreythefrog said:

a) you can manually force a folder to open (or to open sooner) by pressing the space bar - i.e., drag, and once the target folder highlights, press the space bar to open immediately

b) check your settings in System Preferences->Accessibility->Pointer Control.

Make sure that "Spring-loading" is turne on, and adjust the speed as desired.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 4:42 AM in response to agata_cyb

In addition to what jeffreythefrog said:

a) you can manually force a folder to open (or to open sooner) by pressing the space bar - i.e., drag, and once the target folder highlights, press the space bar to open immediately

b) check your settings in System Preferences->Accessibility->Pointer Control.

Make sure that "Spring-loading" is turne on, and adjust the speed as desired.

Nov 2, 2022 9:12 AM in response to agata_cyb

it appears to be working fine here. I think I would try and Start up your Mac in safe mode. then test again. if it works in safe mode, then restart the Mac normally and again test the issue. sometimes a safe boot followed by a normal boot will clear up issues. but if it doesn't work properly when restarted normally, please let us know as there are other things you can try.

Opening folders while dragging and dropping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.