Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moved items don't delete

Normally, when I move a File from one Folder to another in Finder, the File will disappear in the original Folder once it's moved to the new Folder. For some odd reason, lately, Files do not get removed when I move them. If I move a File from one Folder to another on my Macbook Air, the file remains in the original Folder and is duplicated in the new Folder.

Does anyone have any idea how this happened and, more important, how to fix this?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 5:40 PM

The way it's supposed to work is if you drag a file from one folder to another on the SAME drive, it will move it. But if you drag it to a folder on a different drive, it will copy it. This can be reversed by pressing the Option Key before you release the file from a mouse click. You will see a Plus or Minus sign showing it will add (Copy) or remove (move).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 5:40 PM in response to 187

The way it's supposed to work is if you drag a file from one folder to another on the SAME drive, it will move it. But if you drag it to a folder on a different drive, it will copy it. This can be reversed by pressing the Option Key before you release the file from a mouse click. You will see a Plus or Minus sign showing it will add (Copy) or remove (move).

Moved items don't delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.