Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery health dropped 3% within one month

Hey people, I just wanted to know your opinion about my battery health, today y checked the battery health and is 97% after one month, I really take care of my battery and all, my sisters 6s is charged overnight with an iPad charger and under heavy abuse and her is 98%... I checked it under coconut battery and there is even worse... 33 cycles and 96% , is it normal or I’m panicking? I’m so sad :( XS regular

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on May 15, 2019 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2019 5:53 AM

Hello,

Hmm, it seems kinda normal:

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

However, if you are concerned, have it checked: Find Locations

Good luck.

10 replies

May 18, 2019 12:14 PM in response to Karghnar

Some of what you posted is patently untrue.

• Charging with an iPad charger is supported and recommended by Apple, and does not affect battery life. In fact, Apple recommends charging with a USB-C power source for X series, which is an even faster charge than the iPad charger.
  • Charging to 100% is a BEST PRACTICE, and does not reduce battery life. You SHOULD charge overnight, every night. The phone is smarter than you are, and knows to slow the charge rate as it approaches 100% and to stop at 100%.
  • Letting it drop to 0% should not be done routinely or intentionally, but it won't hurt the phone if it happens, assuming you charge it immediately. Because 0% is not totally discharged; like charging to 100%, the phone is smart enough to display 0% and shut down before the battery is fully discharged.

May 18, 2019 12:01 PM in response to ElRikoJULI3535

Hello,

Don't overthink it - i'll do it for you.

Battery health is affected by:

• Surrounding temperature/device temperature
  • Amount of Charging cycles
  • "fast" charging or charging your iPhone with an iPad charger will generate more heat = over time faster decrease of battery capacity
  • Letting your iPhone die entirely (0%)
  • Charging your iPhone to 100% every cycle. (Above 90% the iPhone will charge slower as the battery goes towards the 100%. To decrease heat build up.)

All the above don't change anything, when you hit the 2-year mark on your daily driver you definitely will notice a significant difference. Heavy usage will cause the battery to degrade faster, more charging cycles. This is how batteries work, sadly.

Battery replacement on the long run doesn't cost that much, and even if it would be expensive - many people don't hold on to their phones for much longer than 2 years these days. So just enjoy your iPhone, and if the time is there. The battery replacement won't weigh up to the full price of a new iPhone anyway. This can be done for as cheap as 100 bucks, depending on your location this may vary. You can pull it off cheaper by doing it yourself, but this is not recommended by Apple, this will void warranty and Apple won't perform repairs on iPhones that have been tampered with.

Kind regards,

K

May 18, 2019 12:25 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

If you charge the battery faster, it will generate more heat and will affect battery health of time (slightly). Even if Apple recommends this or not, it’s how Lithium batteries work.

I never stated this drastically affects battery life immediately, over 300+ cycles this might wear out a battery slightly faster than if you would charge with with a 5W charger, technically. Also I stated that it doesn’t really do much for the average user.. :)

kind regards,

K

May 18, 2019 12:45 PM in response to Karghnar

No, you are not being helpful. Apple designed it correctly. The phone monitors the battery temperature during charging and will regulate the charge rate to keep the battery within safe limits. It also monitors tha ambient temperature and takes that into consideration. Any effects that you mention will be unmeasurably small and users should simply forget about trying to manage battery life and charging practices and enjoy the phone. You are using the phone, not the battery. It is disingenuous to make users nervous about how they are managing charging.

Battery health dropped 3% within one month

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.