You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

your apple id and number are being used on a new device

so, every once in a while i’ll get one of those notifications that says something along the lines of “your apple ID and etc are being used on ___’s device.” the name is usually people in my family, my brother, my mom, etc. i just want to know if this means they’re able to access my icloud, or anything on my phone, like see my texts or photos or anything.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on May 16, 2019 2:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 16, 2019 2:46 AM

I think it probably means all your family devices were configured sharing a single Apple ID, so they have full access to the account and anything stored in it. If they know what they are doing or how to search Apple’s online support documents they can probably even change the password.

Apple ID is designed to be used with each account used by only one human. Sharing the same ID is unsupported, it will cause chaos with backups and sharing of things which should not be shared, including the risk of corrupting things like iMessage. Apple has a system to allow multiple accounts to share relevant items safely using Family Sharing. Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 16, 2019 2:46 AM in response to phoenix290

I think it probably means all your family devices were configured sharing a single Apple ID, so they have full access to the account and anything stored in it. If they know what they are doing or how to search Apple’s online support documents they can probably even change the password.

Apple ID is designed to be used with each account used by only one human. Sharing the same ID is unsupported, it will cause chaos with backups and sharing of things which should not be shared, including the risk of corrupting things like iMessage. Apple has a system to allow multiple accounts to share relevant items safely using Family Sharing. Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

May 16, 2019 2:54 AM in response to Branta_uk

Although I’m pretty sure everyone else in my family shares the same Apple ID/iCloud account, I have my own set up. After it gives me the alert I check in the Apple ID settings to see if there are any other devices, and there’s only mine, and I check my send & receive number, and again it’s only mine. But I still get the alerts now and again

your apple id and number are being used on a new device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.