You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery charge remaining of a brand new MacBook Air Retina doesn't match with Full Charge Capacity

I noticed that the difference between the battery charge remaining is lower than the full charge capacity. I know that is normal but the difference is pretty high (214 mAh). This doesn't seems to be normal, right? This difference is pretty similar to the difference that my mid 2013 MacBook Air (which battery has about to 500 cycles).

Anyone knows if this is normal? Many thanks in advance!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 16, 2019 8:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 16, 2019 7:07 PM

This can be normal if the charging stops prematurely and can just be the difference in temperature or use at the time. As long as the Full Charge Capacity is the same you should be Ok. Do an SMC reset if you want. If you have any doubts run the Apple Diagnostic or take it to an Apple Store to be checked out.

4 replies

May 16, 2019 7:59 PM in response to hotaru3

I've seen it fluctuate in small amounts, but I have never really paid attention to new batteries. It wouldn't surprise me to see small differences since it is based on chemical reactions within the battery which can vary with temperature. You have at least a one year warranty on the laptop so I personally wouldn't be concerned unless you see a more drastic reduction.

The Apple battery status is usually fairly accurate and is a good indicator on the health of the battery. You can quickly check the battery condition by Option clicking the battery icon in the menu bar. The Apple Diagnostic can also sometimes catch a failure which may not be indicated in the status condition.

Battery charge remaining of a brand new MacBook Air Retina doesn't match with Full Charge Capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.