Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts different on My Mac and All iCloud

Why are some of my contacts on My Mac different from on my All iCloud?

How can I syncronise them?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 16, 2019 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2019 10:12 AM

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you need help managing your contacts, and I want to help.

On My Mac and iCloud are separate contacts accounts.

They will not be kept automatically synchronized, and if you want your contacts up-to-date and synced between all your devices, you would want to make sure the latest contacts info is on the iCloud account.

If there is data from a contacts entry or whole contacts that are only in the On My Mac account, I recommend copying that info over to iCloud instead.

In the future, make sure you're editing and creating new contact entries on the iCloud account. You can make sure iCloud is selected as the default account by going to the menu bar and clicking Contacts > Preferences > General. From there, select iCloud as the default account.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2019 10:12 AM in response to MikeFast

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you need help managing your contacts, and I want to help.

On My Mac and iCloud are separate contacts accounts.

They will not be kept automatically synchronized, and if you want your contacts up-to-date and synced between all your devices, you would want to make sure the latest contacts info is on the iCloud account.

If there is data from a contacts entry or whole contacts that are only in the On My Mac account, I recommend copying that info over to iCloud instead.

In the future, make sure you're editing and creating new contact entries on the iCloud account. You can make sure iCloud is selected as the default account by going to the menu bar and clicking Contacts > Preferences > General. From there, select iCloud as the default account.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

May 17, 2019 10:34 AM in response to MikeFast

Some of contacts differ on my Mac and in iCloud as they are from web server like gmail , yahoo accounts .

In your Mac if you open system preferences > iCloud if Apple ID is signed in and is having the same address as gmail address and you save some contacts in gmail account and some in iCloud account they will always differ as you created them and saved , also if you export contacts from iPhone ( from a google account ) to your Mac and then import them in iCloud account of your Mac .

You can select individually a contact , copy them ( use command and C keys ) and paste them ( command and V keys ) over the desired folder in the address book also follow this article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205754

Contacts different on My Mac and All iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.