Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanning Using Notes on iPhone

I would love to be able to scan a document using the scan function built into Notes but in following the instructions it says to tap the + sign to get the option to scan. The problem is I don't have a + sign anywhere on my screen when I create a new note. Any ideas on how to get it?

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on May 16, 2019 5:00 PM

6 replies

May 16, 2019 5:40 PM in response to rjtrinka

• Make sure that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has the latest version of iOS.
  • To use the latest features of Notes, make sure that you set up Notes with iCloud or have notes saved on your device. Many Notes features won't work with other email providers.

Scan a document in Notes

With iOS 11 and later, you can scan documents in Notes, and add a signature or manually sign a document. You can also add a signature or sign a document with an Apple Pencil and compatible iPad.

To scan a document:

1. Open a note or create a new note.
  2. Tap , then tap Scan Documents.
  3. Place your document in view of the camera on your device.
  4. If your device is in Auto mode, your document will be automatically scanned. If you need to manually capture a scan, tap  or one of the Volume buttons.
  5. Drag the corners to adjust the scan to fit the page, then tap Keep Scan.
  6. You can add additional scans to the document or tap Save when you're done.

To sign a document:

1. Tap the document in the note.
  2. Tap , then tap Markup.
  3. To add your signature, tap , then tap . To manually sign your document, select a tool to use, then sign with your finger or an Apple Pencil with a compatible iPad.

May 23, 2019 6:24 PM in response to jimfrombridgeton

Thanks for the screen shot jimfrombridgeton. For some reason I do not have the bar just above the predicted text like you have and it wasn't on mine when I was running iOS12.2. I see there is an "X" on the right side of that top bar that I assume would close that option bar. If you close it I wonder if it automatically comes back next time you open a new note?

Scanning Using Notes on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.