Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to rip CDs with macbook when library is on an external drive and there is only one usb port

My itunes library is so big I had to move it to an external drive

My laptop has one USB port and no internal CD drive

What is the best way to rip new CDs?

Thanks in advance for the help!

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 16, 2019 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2019 6:20 PM

Are the library files on the internal drive or the external?

If internal then iTunes should run with the external disconnected, and will reset the media folder to internal drive. Rip the disc, connect the external drive, reset the media folder, consolidate the library, delete the original copies of the ripped tracks.

If external then option-start-iTunes to make a new library on the internal drive, use it to rip the CD, connect the external drive, switch libraries, then import the files into the main library and delete any unwanted originals on the internal drive.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2019 6:20 PM in response to SuperLewis

Are the library files on the internal drive or the external?

If internal then iTunes should run with the external disconnected, and will reset the media folder to internal drive. Rip the disc, connect the external drive, reset the media folder, consolidate the library, delete the original copies of the ripped tracks.

If external then option-start-iTunes to make a new library on the internal drive, use it to rip the CD, connect the external drive, switch libraries, then import the files into the main library and delete any unwanted originals on the internal drive.

tt2

Best way to rip CDs with macbook when library is on an external drive and there is only one usb port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.