Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remaking my music library

Over the 25+ years I've ripped my music CDs to my media library, iTunes has corrupted the mp3 files, and bit rot has damaged the directories. I get far too many 'can't find this song' and other error messages.

I have all the physical CDs. I want to copy them (not rip to another format) to a hard drive. I want bit-for-bit copies of the CD TIFF files. When that's done, I'll import them all to a new media library and carry on, locking the TIFF HD as a read-only archive in a RAID array.

I'd like an app that would let me drag a CD to the hard drive, creating a folder titled according to the CD title, containing the (titled) TIFF tracks. Basically, a HD copy of the physical CD.

What app is best for copying my CDs to a hard drive? Mac OS 12.6.3 with all updates, Intel (Mini 2018) or M2 MacBook Air with external LG CD/DVD drive.

I'm so looking forward to reincarnating my music. Thanks for your help.

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 7:31 AM

Hello Ridge Critter, A couple of things going on there...

As far as keeping disk images of your audio CDs, you may want to ask in the Mac forum. TBH that would be a very unusual thing for an iTunes/Music user to do.

The "can't find this song" error occurs when the audio file, or one of its containing folders, gets deleted, moved, or renamed. The best prevention is to avoid touching files/folders directly in Finder. It can also happen when there is an external drive that is unavailable or renamed.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2023 7:31 AM in response to ridgecritter

Hello Ridge Critter, A couple of things going on there...

As far as keeping disk images of your audio CDs, you may want to ask in the Mac forum. TBH that would be a very unusual thing for an iTunes/Music user to do.

The "can't find this song" error occurs when the audio file, or one of its containing folders, gets deleted, moved, or renamed. The best prevention is to avoid touching files/folders directly in Finder. It can also happen when there is an external drive that is unavailable or renamed.

Remaking my music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.