Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't repair iPhoto Library permissions for Photos!

I think I may have read almost every thread and every article about getting Photos to import my iPhoto library. I've tried this countless times now since Photos was introduced but cannot get this to work.

When I try rebuild permissions for the iPhoto library using the hotkey-popup menu the rebuild happens in about a second. Can that be right?

The last sequence I tried was detailed here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203538

Used Apply permissions on Home folder, used Terminal to reset permissions, and then reinstalled OS Mojave. Still no go... that took overnight.

Can anyone, or even Apple, please help me get this process done so I can move my library and it's albums, tags etc into Photos?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 16, 2019 11:37 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

May 18, 2019 12:01 PM in response to DVoutlaw

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists when you try to migrate it. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread)d

You might also give this a try: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

May 24, 2019 1:59 AM in response to DVoutlaw

Is the external drive with the library compatible? You may get permission errors, if the drive is used by Time Machine.

You can try to rebuild the library with iPhoto Library Manager. iPhoto Library Manager will create a new iPhoto Library, then try to open this new Library in Photos.

rebuilding with iPhoto Library Manager has been described here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5662612?answerId=24116069022#24116069022

May 17, 2019 12:06 AM in response to DVoutlaw

Can you tell us more about your iPhoto Library? Where is the library stored? Is it in the Pictures folder, or is it on an external drive? Has the iPhoto Library last been used with iPhoto 9.6.1 or an older version of iPhoto? Do you still have iPhoto installed and can iPhoto open the library? How large is the iPhoto Library? DO you have more than one iPhoto Library?

When I try rebuild permissions for the iPhoto library using the hotkey-popup menu the rebuild happens in about a second. Can that be right?

Only, if the library is very small. iPhoto may be trying to repair an empty library.

How are you starting the repair? The library you are trying to repair should be the last library you have been viewing in iPhoto. Or try to select the library before you repair it.

• Make a current backup copy of the iPhoto Library.
  • Select the iPhoto Library in the Finder
  • Hold down the key combination ⌥⌘ while double clicking the iPhoto Library and keep holding down the keys firmly, until you are seeing the first aid dialog. Then select the repair. Try all first aid options in turn.

May 17, 2019 10:47 AM in response to léonie

HI, thanks for your reply.

Yes iPhoto 9.6.1 in my Pictures folder, and it's the only Library I have. It's almost 250GB big and I've had it since iPhoto first launched so a LOT of images - it still works fine albeit a bit slow - I don' want to wake up one day and Apple have discontinued it...

I start the repair holding down those keys when clicking the iPhoto icon in the Dock. If I go through each repair step Photos still won't import the Library.

I'll do them again now for good measure.

Can't repair iPhoto Library permissions for Photos!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.