Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my photos library wont open (most serious apple issue i've had so far)

Hi guys, I am freaking out here. My photos library wont open, the last time I opened it was about a week ago. Since then the only thing i've done on my computer is browse the web and install one or two games via steam.

It goes into a "repair library permissions" screen, and it attempts to repair it for a few minutes or so, then it says the library could not be opened.

I think there is some underlying permissions issue. I wish there was just someway to reset all the permissions on my computer, since im the only one that uses this computer anyways.

How to check if all my photos still available on my HD?

Can I either rebuild a new library, or is there some way to repair it?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 10:09 AM

The restart probably fixed it. Rebooting clears out a number of temp caches and swap files and often fixes "glitches" like you experienced. Occasionally a boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down will further help clear out files and repair directory.  Then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Just be sure to have a backup strategy enabled so if things do go south you have a backup you can fall back on.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2021 10:09 AM in response to Striderchen

The restart probably fixed it. Rebooting clears out a number of temp caches and swap files and often fixes "glitches" like you experienced. Occasionally a boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down will further help clear out files and repair directory.  Then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Just be sure to have a backup strategy enabled so if things do go south you have a backup you can fall back on.

Feb 14, 2021 10:07 AM in response to Striderchen

You can use your Photos library only from one user account. Photos has been designed as a single user application.

If you want to use the same Photos Library from several different user accounts, the library needs to be on a separate volume or partition, where you can set the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag. And you cannot use fast user switching. All users that have used the Photos Library need to be logged off, if you want to use the library from a different user account, because your library will be in use, as long as you are signed in.

Prepare the separate partition or volume as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 14, 2021 9:37 AM in response to Striderchen

Very strange, I restarted my computer and it worked. Would like some explanation of the current permissions set up on my computer. Do I have to be a particular user to view my photos? Is there a way I can just merge all users into one like an administrator and not ever have to deal with multiple accounts on my computer. Since I am the only one that uses my mac mini.

my photos library wont open (most serious apple issue i've had so far)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.