Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minecraft - Missing file / Unable to start Minecraft because of dmg

I can't open Minecraft, as when I try to, the Minecraft launcher comes up with the notice "Unable to start Minecraft, if you are running from a dmg, please drag to Applications and try again". Using advice from another place, I opened the folders in Minecraft by pressing command, then shift, then G, and then typing in ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft which worked. It then advised me to "find launcher.jar, and open it." However, I cannot find the file launcher.jar and I think it may be missing. Please help me use Minecraft!

source

https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/support/java-edition-support/2530334-multiple-osx-accounts

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 18, 2019 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2019 12:01 AM

You need to download the Minecraft.dmg disk image, double-click it to mount it, then drag the Minecraft.app contained therein into your Finder -> Applications folder or use the shortcut window that pops up:

You cannot run the Minecraft.app while it is simply showing in the disk image, it must be dragged to the Applications folder so it can download/write the extra files it needs from the Internet. That is why you are getting this error:

Note: by and large, the only thing you'd ever need to be doing in the ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft folder is to delete that folder of your Minecraft ever gets corrupted. If you're having any problems, deleting that folder and run the Minecraft.app which you should have moved into your Finder / Applications folder. The support directory will be re-created from scratch automatically.

The information you're reading from that 2015 thread is very old and not an issue anymore.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2019 12:01 AM in response to Enbii

You need to download the Minecraft.dmg disk image, double-click it to mount it, then drag the Minecraft.app contained therein into your Finder -> Applications folder or use the shortcut window that pops up:

You cannot run the Minecraft.app while it is simply showing in the disk image, it must be dragged to the Applications folder so it can download/write the extra files it needs from the Internet. That is why you are getting this error:

Note: by and large, the only thing you'd ever need to be doing in the ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft folder is to delete that folder of your Minecraft ever gets corrupted. If you're having any problems, deleting that folder and run the Minecraft.app which you should have moved into your Finder / Applications folder. The support directory will be re-created from scratch automatically.

The information you're reading from that 2015 thread is very old and not an issue anymore.

Minecraft - Missing file / Unable to start Minecraft because of dmg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.