Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How so I get rid of MacShiny and http://lkysearchex1957-a.akamaihd.net

I thought I trashed it but this little mpacshiny icon sits in my menu bar and I can't delete it. And my search goes to the Ikysearchcheck1957.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 20, 2019 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2019 12:54 PM

You inadvertently installed adware. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

Navigate to the following folder, and post its contents in a screenshot.

~/Library/LaunchAgents

To open that folder, copy the entire line above and paste it in the Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field. Make it look like this:

... and click the Go button. A Finder window will open. Take a screenshot showing of all that folder's contents, and post it in a reply. To take a screenshot read the Appendix in the following User Tip: Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question.

Usually, there is nothing in that folder so don't be surprised to find it empty. The reason for starting with that folder is to eliminate other potential causes before proceeding with the additional steps necessary to identify and eradicate whatever is affecting that Mac.

There will be additional instructions to follow and this is just the first step, so you will need to be patient.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2019 12:54 PM in response to Tamalyn4

You inadvertently installed adware. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

Navigate to the following folder, and post its contents in a screenshot.

~/Library/LaunchAgents

To open that folder, copy the entire line above and paste it in the Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field. Make it look like this:

... and click the Go button. A Finder window will open. Take a screenshot showing of all that folder's contents, and post it in a reply. To take a screenshot read the Appendix in the following User Tip: Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question.

Usually, there is nothing in that folder so don't be surprised to find it empty. The reason for starting with that folder is to eliminate other potential causes before proceeding with the additional steps necessary to identify and eradicate whatever is affecting that Mac.

There will be additional instructions to follow and this is just the first step, so you will need to be patient.

How so I get rid of MacShiny and http://lkysearchex1957-a.akamaihd.net

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.