Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to separate voiceover from still image imovie

I've been doing voiceovers for video clips lately and it works great but today I ran into something weird.

I added a photo (still image) to my project and did a voiceover but for some reason imovie has connected or linked the voiceover track to that image. And it's not detachable as is the case with video tracks that have their audio incorporates and then you right click and select detach audio and voila. In this case if I right click on the photo there is no detach audio option so the connection is at a different level.

The thing is I'm trying to replace the image but when I delete the original one from the editor to bring in the new one, the deletion takes the audio track with it!

What can I do? Why does this happen?

Posted on May 22, 2019 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 12:11 PM

When you add an audio clip, or voiceover, it will be connected by a little attachment handle to the photo above it. When you delete the photo that will also delete the audio beneath it.

To change this, put your cursor on the audio clip and, while pressing down, pull it straight down into the audio well that is below the main audio well. That will pull off the attachment handle from the photo above. Then you can delete or replace the photo without deleting the audio.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2019 12:11 PM in response to santiagoev

When you add an audio clip, or voiceover, it will be connected by a little attachment handle to the photo above it. When you delete the photo that will also delete the audio beneath it.

To change this, put your cursor on the audio clip and, while pressing down, pull it straight down into the audio well that is below the main audio well. That will pull off the attachment handle from the photo above. Then you can delete or replace the photo without deleting the audio.

-- Rich

May 22, 2019 5:23 PM in response to Rich839

I'm not entirely sure, but you might be able to put the voice memo into a playlist in iTunes and burn it to a CD. That should create an audio file independent of iTunes that you could import into iMovie.

Another way would be to put a black (or any color) background into a new iMOvie project, then add your audio, and share it out as an audio-video file. That creates an independent standalone audio-video. You could play it without opening iTunes. Sharing it out as an audio only file seems not to work, as playing the file opens iTunes.

-- Rich

How to separate voiceover from still image imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.