Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voiceover keeps getting deleted??

I was trying to create an iMovie with a voiceover by first filming a bunch of video clips then recording voiceovers over said clips. I know very well that you are supposed to drag the audio downwards to some point until you see it sort of "unlink" from the video it's "linked with" (I'm not sure of the right terminology for this)... However, even when I unlink the voiceover to the original video clip, I'll try editing the clip and then the voiceover deletes itself... Is that supposed to happen and if not how do I fix it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 3:07 PM

No, that's not supposed to happen. If you pulled down the voice-over audio to the lowest audio well, and actually saw the link pull off of the video clip above, then it should not delete when you edit the video clip.

Sometimes it can look like it is deleted, because it may shrink down when you delete or modify video clips above it.

In any event, iMovie appears like it is not acting as expected. Sometimes a corrupt preference can cause this. Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, you can try importing your media into a newly created project to see if the voice-over feature works properly there.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 3:07 PM in response to Tiny_320

No, that's not supposed to happen. If you pulled down the voice-over audio to the lowest audio well, and actually saw the link pull off of the video clip above, then it should not delete when you edit the video clip.

Sometimes it can look like it is deleted, because it may shrink down when you delete or modify video clips above it.

In any event, iMovie appears like it is not acting as expected. Sometimes a corrupt preference can cause this. Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, you can try importing your media into a newly created project to see if the voice-over feature works properly there.

-- Rich

Voiceover keeps getting deleted??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.