Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem updating/downloading apps on apple store.

Hello, I’ve been having this issue for a couple of months now and no matter what I try it doesn’t work. When I attempt to update or download an app on the apple store it begins to update or download but within 5 seconds a banner shows up asking for billing verification. I don’t use a credit card so in settings >ñame> ITunes& apple store I’ve selected various times my payment under none. This doesn’t work. I’ve also tried making a new Apple ID and using that instead it worked on my macbook but on my iPhone it continues to ask for a verification, and the verification is still being asked for my old account. What should or can I do about this?

iPhone 8 Plus, 12

Posted on May 22, 2019 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 8:57 PM

Sorry, just to confirm, with the Apple ID you are using with the App Store, is there a card on file or has it been changed to none?

Often this comes up if there's something wrong with the account.

There could be a purchase stuck that hasn't gone through. If you check in Settings > Your name at the top > iTunes & App Store > Tap on your Apple ID email at the top and a box should appear > Tap View Apple ID > Sign in > Purchase History, is there anything in red, pending or owing that's got it stuck?

You may need to give support a call or chat to see if the account has any issues preventing you from downloading an app.

I know you can't choose the "None" option as a payment method if you have active subscriptions

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2019 8:57 PM in response to anahi163

Sorry, just to confirm, with the Apple ID you are using with the App Store, is there a card on file or has it been changed to none?

Often this comes up if there's something wrong with the account.

There could be a purchase stuck that hasn't gone through. If you check in Settings > Your name at the top > iTunes & App Store > Tap on your Apple ID email at the top and a box should appear > Tap View Apple ID > Sign in > Purchase History, is there anything in red, pending or owing that's got it stuck?

You may need to give support a call or chat to see if the account has any issues preventing you from downloading an app.

I know you can't choose the "None" option as a payment method if you have active subscriptions

May 22, 2019 8:56 PM in response to anahi163

I would go back to your old account because all previous purchases are tied to the ID that made them.

Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device

If necessary, contact iTunes Support. Either use the form or scroll to the bottom of the page in the 2nd link. Follow through the screens to get a chat or telephone option.  You may need to pick a problem that is slightly different than yours to get a chat option.  

iTunes Support

iTunes Support – world wide

Problem updating/downloading apps on apple store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.