Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

left-command + click on trackpad can't open new tab sometimes

I'm using a 10.14.4 MacOS Mojave on a 2018 MBP 13" model and somehow I'm experiencing a very weird issue with Safari. Sometimes the left-cmd key + a click on trackpad can't open link in a new tab in Safari. But I'm 100% certain that the left-cmd is working fine, coz I still can do cmd+tab to switch between app. Whenever this happened, I would use right-cmd instead and it work without any problem. And every time, after using a right-cmd to open a tab in safari, the left-cmd would resume normal right away too.

I don't want to bring this issue to a Genius Bar coz it only happens occasionally... likely I wouldn't be able to show them the problem when I'm there. though not a major show stopper, it's still quite annoying sometimes.

wondering if anyone has similar issue?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 23, 2019 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2019 12:56 AM

Did you somehow reassign the Left Command key in Safari? Does the same thing happen with an external keyboard?

You could try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute to make sure it activates several times). You will need to reselect your Startup Disk in System Preferences and reset the Date & Time. You could also try booting into Safe Mode to see if it happens there as well. You may see the screen flash & flicker which is normal since Safe Mode uses a very basic video driver.

You should take the laptop to the Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be checked out since Apple just expanded their free keyboard repair program to include the 2018 & 2019 laptops.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2019 12:56 AM in response to Cairok

Did you somehow reassign the Left Command key in Safari? Does the same thing happen with an external keyboard?

You could try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute to make sure it activates several times). You will need to reselect your Startup Disk in System Preferences and reset the Date & Time. You could also try booting into Safe Mode to see if it happens there as well. You may see the screen flash & flicker which is normal since Safe Mode uses a very basic video driver.

You should take the laptop to the Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be checked out since Apple just expanded their free keyboard repair program to include the 2018 & 2019 laptops.

May 24, 2019 1:05 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for your info!

I didn't reassign the left-cmd at all. Unfortunately I don't have an external keyboard to test it out.

Never done a SMC reset or PRAM reset, I will definitely check that out. Will post back here the result.

Thanks for pointing out that Apple has extended free keyboard repair program, but reading at the first paragraph

• Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly
  • Letters or characters do not appear
  • Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner

exactly this is why I don't want to bring it to Apple, coz the issue doesn't happen consistently .... I am afraid that I can't show them the exact issue when I'm there, and they will just send me back ... :(

May 24, 2019 6:33 AM in response to Cairok

exactly this is why I don't want to bring it to Apple, coz the issue doesn't happen consistently ....  I am afraid that I can't show them the exact issue when I'm there, and they will just send me back ... :(

That may be the case, but at least it will be on record you are having a keyboard issue so the next time you take it in they may be able to do something more for you. Just make sure to back everything up as Apple may want to erase & reinstall the OS.

Testing with an external keyboard is an easy way to tell if you have a hardware or software issue. If it happens to both keyboards, then it is most likely a software issue. Of course intermittent problems are very hard to troubleshoot.

Pay attention to how you press the Left Cmd key. Maybe when you Cmd click a link you are pressing it more on the edge than when you use it to task switch. Or perhaps you are accidentally triggering another key which could negate the Cmd + Click.

left-command + click on trackpad can't open new tab sometimes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.