Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation Lock

I have a second hand iPhone 5 and the previous owner didn't erased his/her apple id form it. Activation Lock appears and I can't continue. How can I open it without the previous owner's apple id and password.

Posted on May 23, 2019 10:01 PM

3 replies

May 23, 2019 10:04 PM in response to nathalie31

Activation Lock Problem

If you purchased the device second-hand, then it is useless without the Apple ID and password to which it is locked. If you don't have it, can't remember it or cannot get it, then the device is useless to you. Try to get your money refunded, if you can, or take it to an Apple store for an exchange provided they will help you. If you are the original owner then take the device, a copy of your purchase receipt and identity proof to an Apple retailer where they may be able to assist you. For a decease owner you will need a certified copy of the Death Certificate, the device, proof of inheritance and proof of your identity. Take all to your local Apple Store for help. Note: there is no guarantee that anyone can gain access to the device.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

Activation Lock - Turn off Find My iPhone

If you have an Apple Watch please see: About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support.

May 23, 2019 11:15 PM in response to nathalie31

I'm sorry to hear you've purchased a second-hand iPhone but the Apple ID is still signed in and has gone into Activation Lock.

In this situation, you have 3 options to remove the Activation Lock:

1. With the original Proof of Purchase when the iPhone was first purchased

2. Enter the correct Apple ID and password into the device

3. Have the owner of the Apple ID remove the device from icloud.com/find

If the Seller declines to help you may not be able to remove the Activation lock.

It is possible that the owner of the Apple ID may not be the Seller.

I understand that because it was bought second hand these options make it harder.

The best option would be to reach out to the seller and explain it would take five minutes to follow this guide at the part: If the previous owner isn't with you - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201441

If they do not respond or decline, ask to return the device for a refund of your money if possible.

Activation Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.