Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 iMac pro slower than my 2015 MacBook Pro

I got an 8 core Imac Pro in February 2018, about $5K. Running a single Matlab program (not parallelized), the Imac Pro is 20-30 percent slower than my 4 core MacBook Pro (laptop). This is total BS

iMac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 24, 2019 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2019 10:22 AM

Check Activity Monitor to see if a certain task is demanding a lot of system resources. Comparing this to your MacBook should help determine potential resource hogs, and may explain why your system is running slower.

It may also be a good idea to ensure your iMac Pro has good ventilation, and that there isn't anything blocking the exhaust on the back of the machine.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2019 10:22 AM in response to nelson228

Check Activity Monitor to see if a certain task is demanding a lot of system resources. Comparing this to your MacBook should help determine potential resource hogs, and may explain why your system is running slower.

It may also be a good idea to ensure your iMac Pro has good ventilation, and that there isn't anything blocking the exhaust on the back of the machine.

2018 iMac pro slower than my 2015 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.