Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase all content and settings

I am trying to "erase all content and settings" someone else can use my phone, but when I do, I get the message "Verification failed, There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server". I am doing this to 2 phones, one worked fine, the other continues to give me this error. What can I do?

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on May 25, 2019 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2019 7:36 PM

This suggests a connectivity issue.

Even if you use iTunes to erase the phone, you "must" still disable Find My Phone, which is what needs the connection to the iCloud Server.

You can also disable Find My Phone this way >>> https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2702

2 replies

May 25, 2019 3:46 PM in response to cajuntigerfan

Restore your device per the following instructions as a NEW device. You can do this using iTunes by connecting your device to your computer using the USB cable that came with your device. See Restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support,

Forget Passcode or Restore Device

How to erase your iOS device & then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

For help with the above or later models including iPhone 7, 7s, 8 or later, iPad Pro 11" and iPad Pro 12.9" models please refer to If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen.

If the above doesn’t work for you, then:

Follow these steps to place your iOS device into recovery mode: iPhone DFU mode explained, and how to enter DFU mode on your device.

If all fails then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. If you did not purchase it from Apple then you will need to look to the vendor for service.

Erase all content and settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.