Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading High Sierra Installer on a Mac with Mojave

I followed the instructions on the following article (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969) and get the message "The requested version of macOS is not available." I need this for an older iMac. I erased the hard drive and need to reinstall macOS. Using the control-R, and option-control-R is giving me errors.

Posted on May 25, 2019 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2019 6:34 PM

The only way I know of to do this would be to have an external USB hard drive*, go into Internet Recovery Mode on your Mojave machine (SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND-R) so that you can install the oldest version of OS X / macOS available for your Mojave-running Mac and install that as a system onto that external drive.

Then you can boot up onto that older OS X / macOS by holding down the OPTION key.

While booted onto that, as long as it gives you regular-Sierra or something older you can than go into your past purchases in the App Store and download High Sierra.

You can then use that "Install macOS High Sierra" app w/ the instructions to make a bootable USB thumb drive to use on your older Mac needing High Sierra.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

For ease of use, do yourself a favor and rename that thumb drive "MyVolume" so you can literally cut and paste the terminal command in that help guide.

*Note, instead of a USB hard drive (if you don't have one) you technically could use a 32gb or larger flash drive to install the old OS X / macOS on to. It would just be really slow, but doable. And this is in addition to the 2nd 8gb+ USB flash drive you would need to create the bootable High Sierra drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2019 6:34 PM in response to Granny_Smith_Apples

The only way I know of to do this would be to have an external USB hard drive*, go into Internet Recovery Mode on your Mojave machine (SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND-R) so that you can install the oldest version of OS X / macOS available for your Mojave-running Mac and install that as a system onto that external drive.

Then you can boot up onto that older OS X / macOS by holding down the OPTION key.

While booted onto that, as long as it gives you regular-Sierra or something older you can than go into your past purchases in the App Store and download High Sierra.

You can then use that "Install macOS High Sierra" app w/ the instructions to make a bootable USB thumb drive to use on your older Mac needing High Sierra.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

For ease of use, do yourself a favor and rename that thumb drive "MyVolume" so you can literally cut and paste the terminal command in that help guide.

*Note, instead of a USB hard drive (if you don't have one) you technically could use a 32gb or larger flash drive to install the old OS X / macOS on to. It would just be really slow, but doable. And this is in addition to the 2nd 8gb+ USB flash drive you would need to create the bootable High Sierra drive.

Downloading High Sierra Installer on a Mac with Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.