Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install a High Sierra installer to boot onto an older iMac using my 2020 Macbook Air running Big Sur.

Each time I try to download the installer from the app store, system preferences opens and says "Update Version not available." How do I install the OS without my Air trying to install it automatically?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 12, 2021 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 8:20 AM

When and how did you create this USB installer? You have to do it on a computer that supports El Capitan. As just indicated in another post, Apple periodically updates installers and if this is one you did a long time ago it may notwork unless you, uh, trick it.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

6 replies

May 13, 2021 7:07 AM in response to nmwegener

Apple is somewhat restrictive as to which system versions can be downloaded to certain machines. The general idea for newer systems and machines is you download to a machine what that machine can actually use. Why don't you just boot the older model to Internet Recovery and work your way up to High Sierra from it?

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

May 13, 2021 7:28 AM in response to nmwegener

Internet Recovery should work unless it is a truly ancient model that pre-dates that. In that case you will need more resources than a modern computer. Technically they should have included the original system DVD and failing that you will have to look on the used market for Snow Leopard. Of course it might help to know more about the actual model computer in discussion.

May 13, 2021 7:56 AM in response to Limnos

Yeah it’s quite old. Model A1224 from 2009. The previous owner estimated it was newer but i’ve since found that it’s not even compatible with high sierra. I was able to create a bootable usb with El Cap, but when prompted to login to the app store it says “this item is temporarily unavailable.” I’ve read that trying to login to icloud from the “get help online” utility can help, but when i navigate to the icloud website it just gets stuck on a spinning wheel? I’m quite lost

Trying to install a High Sierra installer to boot onto an older iMac using my 2020 Macbook Air running Big Sur.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.