Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use a eGPU with the built in display 5K iMac

hello i'm thinking on buying a eGPU for My iMac, i use blender to work with 3D and i don't know if i'm going to be able to work with the eGPU to accelerate the rendering but using only the built in 5K display, i don't have other display to plug in to the eGPU.

Thanks a lot.

this is my iMac configuration.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 25, 2019 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2019 8:56 PM

The great news is that you can use an eGPU for a huge performance processing boost even if you are only using the built-in display of your iMac (or MacBook, etc.). Using an external display is entirely optional.

Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

That how-to guide also contains specific models of eGPU and graphics cards recommended for use.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2019 8:56 PM in response to Mr.M.O.R.E

The great news is that you can use an eGPU for a huge performance processing boost even if you are only using the built-in display of your iMac (or MacBook, etc.). Using an external display is entirely optional.

Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

That how-to guide also contains specific models of eGPU and graphics cards recommended for use.

May 27, 2019 3:05 AM in response to Mr.M.O.R.E

How did you go, I too use Blender and Houdini with Unreal. I'm curious as to if your render performance in EEVEE and cycles increased????

how to use a eGPU with the built in display 5K iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.