Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I use a eGPU, will it increase the number of external monitor supported by my MacBook pro?

I have a 2017 TouchbBar 13" MacBook with 4 TB3 ports. By itself it only supports up to two external monitors plus the built-in display. If I attach an eGPU, will I be able to use more than two external monitors?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 11:01 AM

Hi,

In theory, yes. But make sure you check the specifications for the eGPU and what will the card support.

Have a look at this link from Apple.

An eGPU lets you do all this on your Mac:

• Accelerate apps that use Metal, OpenGL, and OpenCL
  • ✅Connect additional external monitors and displays
  • Use virtual reality headsets plugged into the eGPU
  • Charge your MacBook Pro while using the eGPU
  • Use an eGPU with your MacBook Pro while its built-in display is closed 
  • Connect an eGPU while a user is logged in
  • Connect more than one eGPU using the multiple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on your Mac2
  • Use the menu bar item  to safely disconnect the eGPU
  • View the activity levels of built-in and external GPUs (Open Activity Monitor, then choose Window > GPU History.)

Hope this helps.

Vicko

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2020 11:01 AM in response to ricardopv

Hi,

In theory, yes. But make sure you check the specifications for the eGPU and what will the card support.

Have a look at this link from Apple.

An eGPU lets you do all this on your Mac:

• Accelerate apps that use Metal, OpenGL, and OpenCL
  • ✅Connect additional external monitors and displays
  • Use virtual reality headsets plugged into the eGPU
  • Charge your MacBook Pro while using the eGPU
  • Use an eGPU with your MacBook Pro while its built-in display is closed 
  • Connect an eGPU while a user is logged in
  • Connect more than one eGPU using the multiple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on your Mac2
  • Use the menu bar item  to safely disconnect the eGPU
  • View the activity levels of built-in and external GPUs (Open Activity Monitor, then choose Window > GPU History.)

Hope this helps.

Vicko

Sep 4, 2020 11:01 AM in response to ricardopv

Yes, it will, but it costs on the order of US$1000. and provides full accelerated display capability.

If you only need a fairly slow display for pedestrian images like stock quotes or software listings, and do not need fine mouse-tracking on that display, there is a "simulated display" solution for US$50. It uses DiaplayLink technology and a DisplayLink chip in an external box.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/VIDU3DVIA/

If I use a eGPU, will it increase the number of external monitor supported by my MacBook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.