Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac External Dual 5K Monitors

Hi,

I have: An iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), with AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB Graphics Card. And I want to connect 2 external monitors. Both are LG UltraFine 5K Monitors. Model 27MD5KL - Not Happening. Would an eGPU solve the problem?

Thanks

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 1:02 PM

It should help..... your mac can run 2 monitors at 3840x 2160 (4k UHD), billions of colours or 2 monitors at 4096 x 2305 (4k) at millions of colours both at 60 hz. Here's a screenshot from Apple's support page for this particular iMac which shows what it can do.

so yes, it'll run one 5k monitor... but not two at the same time....hope this helps....John B

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 1:02 PM in response to Keith2021

It should help..... your mac can run 2 monitors at 3840x 2160 (4k UHD), billions of colours or 2 monitors at 4096 x 2305 (4k) at millions of colours both at 60 hz. Here's a screenshot from Apple's support page for this particular iMac which shows what it can do.

so yes, it'll run one 5k monitor... but not two at the same time....hope this helps....John B

Mar 24, 2022 1:09 PM in response to Johnb-one

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

Understood with the specs. I just got off the phone with tech support at Blackmagic. The tech was saying that with the

addition of an external eGPU, (the one at the Apple website), that it would be possible to run two 5K monitors.

One thunderbolt port would go directly to one of the external monitors, the other thunderbolt port would go to the eGPU, which would have the second monitor connected to it.

To your knowledge would you think that would work?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2022 1:45 PM in response to Keith2021

Heck yes, Keith2021… absolutely that should work. I think you’re onto something mighty good there… blackmagic eGPU should be just fine or you can “roll your own” with an eGPU enclosure that has thunderbolt 3 output + sufficiently beefy video card ( radeon 5700 XT, vega 64, vega Frontier edition, or Radeon VII) … getting the eGPU enclosure should be no sweat… akitio makes one as does Razer and others… getting a sufficiently beefy video card these days….. that’s gonna be a problem… due to supply constraints, worldwide chip shortages( potato chips included ) and super huge demand due to data mining … video/graphics card(s) prices these days are crazy… especially for the cards i mentioned before… either a Mac native or Mac flashed card will work just fine in your eGPU…

that’s all i got

good luck to you and have a good day

john b

iMac External Dual 5K Monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.