Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic after waking up from sleep mode

Hello everyone,

I have a kernel panic each time my mac wakes up from sleep mode. Indeed, if I leave it form 1 hours for exemple in sleep mode, I don't have any problem. However, when it exceeds 4 hours on average (maybe deep sleep mode), my mac just restart and display : "Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up."

This occurred after I bought a new SSD. I thought, the problem was coming from this new Hard disk. So I changed it with a new one but the problem remains.

I checked on internet for solutions to solve this problem. Here are what I tried :

• Clean install of mac (MAC OS MOJAVE)
  • reset the SMC and NVRAM
  • enable TRIM mode for that SSD

Here is my panic report :

I hope someone will help me with this problem.

Best regards.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 26, 2019 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2019 4:45 AM

The original spec RAM for that model is: 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

The RAM in yours is: Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz,

While there is no guarantee of this being the issue, if you had the original RAM, it would be a good troubleshooting step. Macs are quite fussy about the quality and spec of the RAM used.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2019 4:45 AM in response to aminemaadi

The original spec RAM for that model is: 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

The RAM in yours is: Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz,

While there is no guarantee of this being the issue, if you had the original RAM, it would be a good troubleshooting step. Macs are quite fussy about the quality and spec of the RAM used.

May 26, 2019 4:49 AM in response to stedman1

Unfortunately I don't have it 😩.

Before upgrading to SSD. I didn't have any problem with my mac.

I was using the same RAM.

For the record, I used again my old hard disk to see if the problem disappeared which was the case.

I'm pretty sure that the Hard disk itself has no issue, because as I described in my original post, I returned it and I bought a new one of an other brand.

May 26, 2019 5:43 AM in response to aminemaadi

The two most common causes of kernel panics are faulty hardware and third-party kernel extensions.

The most common hardware cause is bad RAM.

You have installed some of the worst offenders of third-party kernel extensions, AV software. AV software provides absolutely no useful purpose on a Mac and always causes problems.

You've got BitDefender and AdGuard installed. Uninstall them using the developer's uninstall or instructions. You can't just drag them to the trash.

As noted, your RAM is not correct for your Mac. Crucial has a lookup function that finds the correct RAM for that Mac, so I'm not sure how you managed to buy the wrong type. You might check with them to see if they'll exchange it.

To isolate the probable cause of the panics, uninstall the third-party kernel extensions. There will be no need to reinstall the kexts if the panics do not subside as they are serving no purpose in the first place.

If you still have panics after uninstalling the kexts, then it is likely the RAM. Since that RAM is not spec'd for that Mac, and you do not have the original RAM to swap out, there is really nothing more you can do to test it unless you purchase the correct RAM.

You might try running Rember on it to see if it is actually faulty--if it is, Crucial will replace it, but probably still the wrong type.

May 26, 2019 5:53 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have those RAM for more than 3 years. I just run Rember and all the tests passed.

I did a clean install of MAC and the problem remained. Then I installed Bitdefender and Adguard.

The RAM is the last option I think to solve the problem. I'll buy new ones and see if the problem remains the same.

If it's the RAM, would you tell why the problem disappeared when I set back the original hard disk ?

Thank's a lot for your answer.

May 26, 2019 6:17 AM in response to aminemaadi

Sorry, I missed the part about re-installing the old hard drive.

It could be something with the SSD. Normally, it is the Samsung SSDs that are reported as having issues.

Did you replace it yourself? Even if you had a repair shop install it, the ribbon cable could be not connected fully, causing random panics. MacBook Pro hard drives require a thermal sensor connection that many manufacturers do not have. Crucial makes good products, but I don't know whether their SSDs are fully compatible.

It may just need a firmware update--have you checked with crucial about the problem?

There is no definitive way to determine the cause of a panic. There are sometimes clues as to what it might be, like a Page Fault indicates a memory issue. Not necessarily RAM.

The only way to determine the cause short of taking it to Apple, is through trial and error-- uninstall third-party kexts, test/reseat/replace RAM. If you determine that all of those are not the cause, then it is some other hardware fault that only Apple can detect with more rigorous tests than Apple Diagnostics can provide.

There are very few causes of kernel panics and the most common is hardware and kernel extensions. In some weird, rare case it could be an Apple kext. There are a few other reasons that I can't recall.

One rare possibility is something odd in NVRAM, but you already reset that.

In your case, it may be some other hardware fault. The kernel extension in the backtrace, com.apple.kec.pthread, may indicate the subsystem where the fault occurred, but I don't know what that is.

Kernel panic after waking up from sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.