Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent Kernel Panics When MBP Wakes From Sleep

Occasionally when my mac will wake from sleep it will either freeze entirely not allowing me to move the mouse, or it will freeze up and beachball but allow me to move the mouse. Either way after a few minutes the computer says it needed to restart because of a problem, and this is the log from one of the shutdowns. I want to first say that I think the issue could be related to my SSD as I just upgraded to a higher storage, and now I'm seeing this issue, but was hoping it would be something a little cheaper to fix. Thank you so much for your time :)

I've ran a first aid, disabled putting the disk to sleep, disabled power nap, but that didn't help. I also checked the shutdown cause and it showed up as a 0, but it didn't lose power. I've also ran a full victoria scan on the SSD and checked the SMART, and everything looks good. I also tested the RAM w/ memtest and didn't see issues there either.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 18, 2019 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2019 11:33 AM

Here's another kernel panic that just happened.

Edit: I'm gonna assume it's a bad SSD, after seeing this line in the kernel panic:

"Could not recover SATA HDD after 5 attempts. Terminating."

Lame, time to reinstall my old SSD.

Similar questions

2 replies

May 18, 2019 10:55 AM in response to GrahamMiller

More often than not a "wake" issue is actually being caused by a "sleep" issue. Try testing out sleep/wake by closing all apps first. I've found that Chrome and Dropbox are two big culprits when this turns out to be the issue.

For good measure I would also do a Malwarebytes adware scan/removal to see if some adware/junkware is what is causing things to not sleep properly.

Hopefully it's nothing more serious than this, like some issue using your SSD or needing to delete the hibernation file.

Intermittent Kernel Panics When MBP Wakes From Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.