Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Kernel Panic on MacBook (M1, 2020)

Hi there,

In the last two weeks, after upgrading my MacBook to Monterey, I'm having random Kernel Panic issues which causes my computer to reboot automatically.

The Apple Diagnostics can't find any problem. After performing the upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey, I did a clean reinstall of the system but the issue persists.

I don't know if it is relevant to mention, but I was also having some weird issues when using Big Sur: sometimes, right after the macOS had boot up (or woke up from Sleep mode) my screen would go completely black and only the mouse cursor would work. When those situations happen, I had to force a shutdown to get back to the system, as no error messages were generated, neither issues were found when using Apple Diagnostics.

I'm attaching the logs to this thread:

Thank you very much for your help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 10:05 AM

Hello,

I just want to let you know that I followed your advice and reinstalled macOS last Monday with FileVault disabled this time. Since then, I didn't have any kernel panic.

I will keep an eye on it and post any updates here if something strange happens again.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Similar questions

14 replies

Nov 5, 2021 10:42 AM in response to ANotCreativeUsername

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Nov 6, 2021 7:11 AM in response to ANotCreativeUsername

Trust this method from Apple was used to Reinstall the OS especially on the M1 CPU Apple Silicon ?

From this information on Wireshark it is missing any information I can see regarding Compatibility with Monterey

AppCleaner - this application, if downloaded from some Third Party Untrusted Site could be a source of unknown Malware or Adware. For that specific purpose, see end of reply

Still on AppCleaner - Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Nov 7, 2021 9:24 PM in response to ANotCreativeUsername

I'm having the exact same issue on my Mac mini (M1) too. I pretty much did all the things, disable Bluetooth, uninstall apps that could possibly cause the problem, even reinstall macOS Monterey, and none of those fixed the issue.

Then I started to dig into the kernel panic log again, it always happens on a file-system-related kernel extension.

last started kext at 682563476: com.apple.filesystems.autofs

And I remember to enable the FileVault back when I first bought the device, so I went and turn it off, surprisingly the kernel panic no longer happen. It wasn't an issue before on Big Sur.

Nov 7, 2021 6:46 AM in response to PRP_53

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I did my fresh install of macOS Monterey by following the "Erase and Reinstall macOS" section of the shared link.

The "AppCleaner" app is only located inside my Downloads folder, but I never used since I had upgraded to Monterey.

Can you please elaborate on how Wireshark could be related to my issue, as I'm getting a kernel panic error mentioning some "Bluetooth" driver?

Thank you.

Nov 7, 2021 6:58 AM in response to ANotCreativeUsername

The AppCleaner may be in Download Folder but, as per the report, it is Installed on the computer too !

The AppCleaner may have been used to uninstall an Application but also touched elements of the OS and thereby caused issue with Bluetooth drivers

Unsigned Files:

Apps: 1

WebShark is a packet analyzer and unless it is specifically compatible with with Monterey - it too could be a cause of issue

User Login Items:

[Not Loaded] AppCleaner SmartDelete (Julien Ramseier - installed 2021-10-28)

Modern Login Item

~/Downloads/AppCleaner.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/AppCleaner SmartDelete.app

Dec 7, 2021 5:08 AM in response to ANotCreativeUsername

This has just started occurring recently on my M1 2020 MacBook Air with Mac OS Monterey. it mainly happens when using safari, and chrome and switching websites. However I have a feeling it is related to FileVault as well.

Model Name: MacBook Air

Model Identifier: MacBookAir10,1

Chip: Apple M1

Total Number of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)

Memory: 8 GB

System Firmware Version: 7429.41.5

OS Loader Version: 7429.41.5

Monterey v 12.1

Apple please look into all the diagnostics I have submitted to you, it would be nice to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks, Dustin

Random Kernel Panic on MacBook (M1, 2020)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.