Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very specific problem with Safari

When I am watching a video on Chrome and then I go full screen, a few seconds after Safari automatically opens (even if it's force quit). It happens regularly. What annoys more is whenever Safari opens, the window changes to Safari, interrupting my video watching.

It's really annoying and frustrating. Please help!!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 26, 2019 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 10:43 AM

Try control - clicking on the Safari Dock icon, select Options, and see if Open at login is checked.

Go to System Preferences/Users & Groups, select your account, and the Login items. Note all your login items and then remove them. Restart the computer and do not open any applications except Chrome. Select a video and then go full screen to see if Safari opens.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2019 10:43 AM in response to NitinPhoenix

Try control - clicking on the Safari Dock icon, select Options, and see if Open at login is checked.

Go to System Preferences/Users & Groups, select your account, and the Login items. Note all your login items and then remove them. Restart the computer and do not open any applications except Chrome. Select a video and then go full screen to see if Safari opens.

May 27, 2019 2:31 PM in response to NitinPhoenix

Greetings NitinPhoenix,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems Safari is unexpectedly opening while you're watching videos with Chrome.

To help isolate this issue, I suggest testing the behavior with Safari extensions turned off: Install and manage Safari extensions on your Mac

Additionally, I suggest checking for malware with Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes

If additional assistance is needed, it would be helpful to know if the behavior persists with a different macOS user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Kind regards.

May 29, 2019 11:13 AM in response to NitinPhoenix

I would try Malwarebytes. It is the most recommended adware/malware removal program in the ASC.

See if it happens when booted into the Safe Mode using your normal account.

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

May 27, 2019 11:00 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks for the reply Alex_h1,

I have never installed any Safari extensions, so I think that should not be the issue.

Regarding viruses and malware, I have already tried a free software (with good reviews) from App Store. But, nothing was detected.

And on your suggestion, I just tried logging in as another user and tested the same. The problem was not present as another user. So, that's a new information.

Additionally, the problem began in MacOS 10.14.4. I updated to 10.14.5, hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't.

Does this information help in any way? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the great help!

Nitin

Jun 4, 2019 10:45 PM in response to Eric Root

IT WORKED!! THANKS A TON!!!!

The culprit was LG's Onscreen control software for widescreen monitors. When I disabled it from the Login Items, the problem went away. When enabled, it happened again. So, I uninstalled the LG software and reinstalled it and now the problem is gone, at least for now.

What's strange is that that software was installed since the beginning and had never caused any trouble. It happened all of a sudden.

Anyways, the problem is gone, THANKS TO YOU, ERIC!

I appreciate the help a lot!!

Warm regards,

Nitin

Very specific problem with Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.