Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio error with iTunes (12.x.xx) for Windows (10).

Before itunes starts this window opens - "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly".

Windows plays MusicBee and Foobar2000 faultlessly. I have tried so many fixes. Changing from stand alone DAC to Marantz AVR HD audio but the error window still opens. Uninstalling and reinstalling, using older library itls does not correct the error. All other audio players work (and have always worked) with itunes since version 6. Any recent fixes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 27, 2019 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2019 3:09 PM

Hello again tt2,

Yes I have quite a collection of itls and xmls. The one that works is from early 2018. I have tried many versions of iTunes but this is the only one that loads a library. Unfortunately there were 22,000 missing wav files. Most of which are 24bit and 192kps for the DAC to play at hi res.

I had one more throw of the dice and to my amazement the latest version started without the error window, loaded my whole library and 230 playlists. Playing a vinyl import at the moment which sounds perfect.

The only thing that really changed was the iCloud installation using the Microsoft Media Pack. I'm sure it wasn't because I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, as I had tried that tip so many times.

Thanks again for your help. I have learnt a great deal about iTunes with your directions. You have made an old man very happy.

kindest regards

Tom.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2019 3:09 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello again tt2,

Yes I have quite a collection of itls and xmls. The one that works is from early 2018. I have tried many versions of iTunes but this is the only one that loads a library. Unfortunately there were 22,000 missing wav files. Most of which are 24bit and 192kps for the DAC to play at hi res.

I had one more throw of the dice and to my amazement the latest version started without the error window, loaded my whole library and 230 playlists. Playing a vinyl import at the moment which sounds perfect.

The only thing that really changed was the iCloud installation using the Microsoft Media Pack. I'm sure it wasn't because I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, as I had tried that tip so many times.

Thanks again for your help. I have learnt a great deal about iTunes with your directions. You have made an old man very happy.

kindest regards

Tom.

May 28, 2019 2:33 AM in response to Tom Appleford

There were some threads a while back from people using iTunes in a server role on machines with no sound cards or attached speakers. In the past these might flag an error at launch, but then open normally. Now it seems that iTunes crashes out after acknowledging the error. I don't recall what build this started happening with, but you could try working through some of this list of iTunes installers.

tt2

May 28, 2019 9:04 AM in response to turingtest2

• What a useful link tt2! Thanks very much.
  • A lot of info to absorb and all very interesting. Installed Icloud which needed MS Media Pack which I haven't had on my PC for years. I have installed "iTunes 12.6.5.3 for Windows (64-bit) (2018-09-12) (Last build to support apps, books, and tones)"
  • This version starts with no error message. Unfortunately it doesn't recognise my 120,000 strong 'Wav' uncompressed audio library (3.34 TB)
  • I will have to move to a slightly newer version until I can find a stable version to use my original (and precious) library.
  • This confirms that the problem is somewhere in iTunes 12 x setup, and not my equipement.
  • Thanks for taking time for me. I am in your debt.

Tom

May 27, 2019 3:13 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello,

Thanks for responding.

I have an Asus Maximus X Hero with a disabled on board sound card unconnected from my AVR which is turned off in the BIOS. (Latest)

I also have an Asus Essence STX which I use to record Vinyl (via the ASIO driver) to my PC. The main sound card is my ASUS / nVidia Geforce 1030 HDMI video adaptor (Connected to a Marantz AVR). Also included on a separate input is a Topping D50 DAC connecting my record deck to the AVR phono in. This setup has not changed for 2 years or so.

Foobar2000 works perfectly in stereo, DSD and multichannel and MusicBee was functioning OK as a stand by, but I am more comfortable with iTunes.

iTunes for Windows was a simple install but I have also tried installing from the Apple website. I still see the error window before itunes loads and it looks OK but locks up when Play is pressed. I have to close down with Task Manager. If I click song info it brings up the window and also finds the audio file on Windows.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Tom

May 27, 2019 11:49 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello again tt2,

I have only recently disabled the ASUS onboard soundcard, removed the drivers and disabled it in the BIOS. This has made no difference. My next plan is a Windows 10 reset. As I have an aversion to such a drastic plan, I am holding off in case someone has a better idea.

The info on the internet refers to this error some 3 or 4 years ago and places the blame on Quicktime, as this is not possible now, the most recent advice has proved fruitless. That is reinstall, update drivers etc. and the usual basic fixes which have not helped.

I am mostly interested in playing Hi Def audio imported into iTunes and Foobar. iTunes is my go-to choice for audio playback as the layout suits my requirements. I have used iTunes before since version 6. Foobar and iTunes have shared the same library without problems with playback until recently with iTunes. All my drivers and BIOS are up to date.

Thanks again for your interest in my problem

regards

Tom

May 28, 2019 9:17 AM in response to Tom Appleford

Do you have a collection of .itl files in a Previous iTunes Libraries folder? Each of these correspond to a date when a new build of iTunes made some changes to the structure of the database. The library is always forwards compatible, so as long as you go back to a sufficiently old version of the database it can loaded into whichever build you've gone back to, but of course you lose ratings, play counts, playlists, additions to the library, etc. since that point, which means more housekeeping. As .wav files aren't tagged that presents additional issue for lost metadata if you had to reimport.

tt2

Audio error with iTunes (12.x.xx) for Windows (10).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.