Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal microphone input volume is not adjustable - slider does nothing

Hello, I've seen other users in other threads reporting this but I have not seen any resolution to the issue.

When plugging in an external microphone, I can fully adjust the Input volume in preferences for the external microphone just fine.

However, no matter what I do to the input volume slider for the internal MacBook Pro microphone, the input level does not change, and I am on able to turn down the input level.

This results in the MacBook Picking up All of the sound, and the X ternal microphone Also picks up the audio, but not as well because the MacBook Pro internal microphone is very effective

In the end, I am not able to actually use an Extertal microphone because I cannot turn off or reduce the input volume for the internal micropho

I have done extensive online troubleshooting with Apple support, and the only thing we have found that corrects the issue is to create a new user account.

I would prefer not having to create an entirely new account and migrate all of my data in settings to the new account

Is there any known solution to this?

Note, I have also done the SMC and NV ram reset

Posted on May 27, 2019 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2019 11:44 AM

frogbiter wrote:

Hello, I've seen other users in other threads reporting this but I have not seen any resolution to the issue.

When plugging in an external microphone, I can fully adjust the Input volume in preferences for the external microphone just fine.

However, no matter what I do to the input volume slider for the internal MacBook Pro microphone, the input level does not change, and I am on able to turn down the input level.

This results in the MacBook Picking up All of the sound, and the X ternal microphone Also picks up the audio, but not as well because the MacBook Pro internal microphone is very effective

In the end, I am not able to actually use an Extertal microphone because I cannot turn off or reduce the input volume for the internal micropho
I have done extensive online troubleshooting with Apple support, and the only thing we have found that corrects the issue is to create a new user account.

I would prefer not having to create an entirely new account and migrate all of my data in settings to the new account

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this

or

what exact macOS you are currently running?

Verify your software is up to date—

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Combo Update - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2001

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2019 11:44 AM in response to frogbiter

frogbiter wrote:

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this

or

what exact macOS you are currently running?

Verify your software is up to date—

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Combo Update - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2001

May 27, 2019 2:49 PM in response to leroydouglas

My apologies. It is a 10.14.5

MacBook Pro, 2018

I do believe I have subsequently foundSource of the air or for those who are experiencing a similar issue

I had the MacBook Pro microphoneSelected in dictationPreferencesInKeyboard settings

WhenI switchThe microphone to the external mic in my dictation preferences settings, And then go to the volumePreferences and selectInput volume, I am able toSlide the volume slider for the internal mic all the way to the left and thatAlmost completely mutes the microphone,It reduces the input volume so low that I have to shout before the microphone can hear me so that achieves what I needed to do.

My apologies for theCompletely ridiculous formatting of this message, However I am dependent on dictation services, And it would appear that apples enhanced dictationDoes not understandWhen sentences end or begin, andIt does not understand how to correctly capitalize things.

Internal microphone input volume is not adjustable - slider does nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.