Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't disable two-factor authentication?

For some reason, a while ago, whenever I log into the iTunes Store on Windows, it tells me I have to check my iPad or iPod (iOS device) for a security code... which pops up a Location window asking me if it's OK to authorize the device (which it never remembers), then pops up a code I have to type into my Windows iTunes pop-up to just even redeem a gift certificate (the browser URL opens iTunes).

When I follow the instructions to turn off two-factor authentication - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915 - there's NO option in my Security settings to do this... it just says it's ON, even after I've clicked Edit and can edit anything else. On my iOS device, there's also no option to turn it off as the instructions say.

What is going on? It's a giant PAIN to have to keep running around the place to grab my iPad or iPod, fish it out of a backpack, pull it off a dock, jump through all these hoops to just do a simple thing on my iTunes for Windows. It REALLY makes me not want to go to the iTunes Store, AT ALL. My Windows device is already locked by a password that nobody else knows, and I lock it every time I get up.

The way Apple is doing 2FA is nonsense here, their devices and my account is just not that special, I feel like I'm working for the NSA or something. I don't need this, I've only ever used it for something like cryptocurrency, and if people had to do this for every account, they'd go crazy and not want to use their accounts.

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on May 27, 2019 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2019 12:15 PM

From the article you posted a link to.

If you recently updated your account, you can unenroll for two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings.

Similar questions

3 replies

May 28, 2019 6:34 AM in response to Eric Root

What do you mean by recently updated?

By the way, to even sign in to reply here, Apple showed the 2FA prompt even though I'm in a location where my iPad and iPod aren't, so I tried verifying my phone number which just sent me in a circle of instructions, then I had to start over and get a text sent... this is ridiculous. No other of the dozens of accounts online I use requires this level of security hassle. This is not sensible.

What if I sell my iPad and iPod? I still use a Mac and iTunes content on Windows. I have to get a text every time I need to log into my account? This is nonsense.

Can't disable two-factor authentication?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.