Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

testsupport.efi error after new installs

ok so, i have a mbp 9.2 mid 2012 that i tried to reset completely to get usernames etc sorted properly, how ever after i do the reset process using d at power on, i run in to a error saying

Error: 0x8000000000000003, Cannot Load 'EFI/Drivers/TestSupport.efi'

this was after i had wiped my disk drive with the disk utility

to remedy this i had to make a usb thumbdrive with the sierra installer

as per this guide http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

mentioned for this error plenty of times in this community.

now even after installing sierra from this method i am unable to use the actual web recovery from power on + D

returning again with the error from above.

i am trying to settle this error so i can actually recover my mbp in case of future mishaps from the online recovery platform, so all help would be appreciated.

Posted on May 27, 2019 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2019 10:51 PM

Your Mac is too old to use the Apple Diagnostics loaded over Internet Recovery.

You need Apple Hardware Test. That can be problematic. It is on the disk when shipped by Apple, and is on your original release DVD set (if so supplied). But there is no software that makes certain it is RE-Installed if you replace or erase your drive.

A User has put together a whole lot of versions of Apple Hardware Test and a procedure for making a bootable USB-stick:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2019 10:51 PM in response to m3troidman

Your Mac is too old to use the Apple Diagnostics loaded over Internet Recovery.

You need Apple Hardware Test. That can be problematic. It is on the disk when shipped by Apple, and is on your original release DVD set (if so supplied). But there is no software that makes certain it is RE-Installed if you replace or erase your drive.

A User has put together a whole lot of versions of Apple Hardware Test and a procedure for making a bootable USB-stick:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

May 27, 2019 11:17 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

ah thank you so much this explains it, I do have a second question to ask if I may get help so that I don't have to start a new thread

I wanted the diagnostics tool to figure out if my superdrive is working as intended as it tends to spin up during sleep at random periods of time, I found dozens of people complaining over it ejecting cds and dvds but that isn't the case for me it just simply randomly spins up from sleep mode

my apologies if this is too of topic. I have marked the issue as solved

May 28, 2019 8:19 AM in response to m3troidman

There are now multiple levels of sleep, and a lot of activities that might be performed in a state called "dark wake", where your Mac wakes up enough to check itself, do backups, and do maintenances such as roll over log files, but not light up the display.

It would not surprise me if those activities caused the DVD reader to read the Drive Directory and attempt to Mount any disc that was present.

testsupport.efi error after new installs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.