Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod nano shows no songs

My last sync has wiped all songs and podcasts from my iPod nano. Same computer and iPod I've been using for years. I haven't changed any settings.

When the iPod is connected to the computer and I view its content on iTunes, the usage bar shows most of the space is used by audio, as usual (3.09 GB free, and a small amount used by "other." But when I try viewing or listening to songs or podcasts on the device, it shows none available.

I tried syncing on a different computer with fewer songs and podcasts, and it worked perfectly. Then I tried again on my usual computer, and it wiped out everything again.

iPod Nano (7th Gen)

Posted on May 28, 2019 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2019 7:17 AM

Hello DaveFromTexas,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand the iPod nano has been removing songs and podcasts and not syncing them back but will work on another computer. You've reached the right place for help.

Here are some suggestions that can help:

1. Make sure iTunes on your computer is completely updated: Update to the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support
  2. If you've installed any new security software or your current security software had updates on this computer, make sure to check this out for tips: Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support
  3. Reinstall iTunes altogether if you're using a Windows computer: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

Thanks and have a great day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2019 7:17 AM in response to DaveFromTexas

Hello DaveFromTexas,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand the iPod nano has been removing songs and podcasts and not syncing them back but will work on another computer. You've reached the right place for help.

Here are some suggestions that can help:

1. Make sure iTunes on your computer is completely updated: Update to the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support
  2. If you've installed any new security software or your current security software had updates on this computer, make sure to check this out for tips: Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support
  3. Reinstall iTunes altogether if you're using a Windows computer: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

Thanks and have a great day.

May 31, 2019 6:01 PM in response to Joseph_S.

I'm pretty sure you nailed the problem with suggestion 2. I've been using my work computer to sync with iTunes for years. They recently added a security requirement that forces all USB drives inserted into the computer to be encrypted. I think the software saw the iPod as a USB drive and encrypted all the files on it. That's why it looked like most of the storage was used but no songs or podcasts were available for play.

I reset the iPod using my home computer and started syncing from home. Everything's working now (I just can't use the large library of songs on my work computer, unfortunately).

Thanks for your help.

iPod nano shows no songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.