Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro starts heating up when I play games

I have a macbook pro 13inch the 2017 model. When I play sims4 the computer starts to overheat and I can start to hear the fan on. The sound of the fan starts as the Sims game is opening. When I quit the application the sound stops quickly. Is it okay for me to continue using the computer or should I stop playing the game once I hear the fan running?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 28, 2019 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2019 5:43 PM

It sounds like it's actually behaving properly: cranking up the fan during high-intensity graphics/CPU usage, then winding down as that usage stops and your MacBook is generating less heat.

The most important thing is that you should be using your MacBook Pro on a flat/hard surface such that there is a little air circulation underneath and not use it on a soft surface (couch, bed/comforter/sitting on a soft case). That greatly increases heat.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2019 5:43 PM in response to Srhparkk

It sounds like it's actually behaving properly: cranking up the fan during high-intensity graphics/CPU usage, then winding down as that usage stops and your MacBook is generating less heat.

The most important thing is that you should be using your MacBook Pro on a flat/hard surface such that there is a little air circulation underneath and not use it on a soft surface (couch, bed/comforter/sitting on a soft case). That greatly increases heat.

May 28, 2019 5:31 PM in response to Srhparkk

If the computer was overheating, it would shut off.

The fan will run when the computer is warm. Playing a graphics-heavy game like the Sims will warm up the computer and get the fan running.

This is all expected behavior.

If the computer is working fine while the fan runs (no lag in the game), then you have nothing to worry about.

~Lyssa

macbook pro starts heating up when I play games

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.